How can I reset my computer to factory settings?

null March 6, 2011

Machine running Windows Vista Basic. How do I start like I just got it out of the box? Want all gone, but I don’t think the PC came with program disk.

1. Barry Coyle13

how do i reset my dell to factory settings

Barry,

the above question is several months old. If the solutions above don't work for you, I recommend you to ask a new question.

2. Anukul Sangwan

I am assuming that your Windows installation directory is X, and your username is abc.
    Open this directory,
    "X:UsersabcAppData"
    Open it with Windows Explorer
    and Delete all the files present and the folders too.
    If you want to format the other drives, it is according to your needs. Do that first and perform that deleting action after you have completed doing what you want.

Yours sincerely,
    Anukul Sangwan
    Student of Class VII, Age 13
    New Delhi, India
    anukul_sangwan@yahoo.com

What kind of computer is this and who is the manufacturer?

If the computer came pre-installed with an operating system, but without recovery media, chances are there is a recovery partition on your hard drive. Does a recovery option come up when you boot the computer? This could be some plain text like "Press F1 for Recovery."

Some manufacturers also require that you create your own recovery media with software that is pre-installed on the computer. HP does this on its netbooks.

Instead of re-installing Windows Vista, you can also check whether there is an early restore point that you can go back to. For instructions see this article: How To Fix Your PC Using Windows Restore in XP, Vista & 7