How do I replace Windows XP with Linux without a dual-boot setup?

Ken F April 11, 2014

How do I get Linux in place of XP without setting up a dual boot?

1. Ken F

Thanks for the heads up on bt3. I was able to find a valid copy of Win7 to install, so problem fixed. Still thanks for all the great info on my problem. I have old IBM thinkpad that will soon be running Linux. Thanks again

2. dragonmouth

Do you wish to keep your data or you don't care about it?

If you don't care about any data, just install Linux over XP. The install process will reformat the disk and overwrite whatever is on it.

If you want to keep your data, first you have to back it up. Then install Linux. Then restore the dat into the Documents folder of your /home/userid partition.

It's a straightforward installation. The details will differ depending on the distro, but practically all of them will give you the option to replace the system.

How to Install Ubuntu Linux
    http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ubuntu-Linux
    In Installation Type: There is replace Microsoft XP Professional With Ubuntu Option
    As Jeff F mentioned you need to backup you files first

5. Jeff F

Backup your data from your current operating system and do a clean install of Linux so that you will replace your existing Windows XP installation. This will overwrite everything so be sure to backup anything that you want to keep. Start off by downloading a Linux distribution image and burn it to a disk or thumbdrive. We have plenty of tutorials for a wide range of Linux distributions, however I personally recommend Linux Mint for Linux beginner coming from XP. You can even Run your old Windows XP programs on Linux Mint with CrossOver.

Also be sure to check out our list of The Best Linux Software and games.

5 Excellent Downloadable eBooks To Teach Yourself Linux
    Brasero vs. K3b: Top 2 Linux Disc Burning Utilities
    No DVD Drive? No Problem! Create And Mount ISO Files For Free With These Tools
    How To Install Linux With Ease Using UNetbootin
    Running Linux from USB: Are You Doing It Right?
    Where can I find the best free Linux video tutorials?
    The Best Linux Distributions For Windows XP Refugees

• Ken

Thank you to everyone responding. I will try Mint for my sister-in-law's laptop. I gave her the laptop and I used to run BT3 on it. She is concerned with the warnings that XP is no longer supported.

• asdfsadf

bt3 isn't really supported anymore, bt6 aka kali linux has taken its place..