How can I replace Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with the 64-bit version?

Alan Trinder September 5, 2012

To be honest this one is rather frustrating, having paid Microsoft lots of cash for windows it is nigh on impossible. You may think that if you put the 64bit dvd into your drive you could load it, no you can’t. put the 32 bit disk into the drive and I get as far as can’t load into drive 0 not enough space! With a custom install that will format the disk first! I have trawled the Internet they tell you of having to do a clean install so you must back up your data and check your system can run 643bit. Done all of that but no instructions on how to load this.
Can any of the brilliant contributors to MakeUseOf tell me what I need to do, do I need to give drive 0 aka drive C: a little more space then try again and will it give me the option of 32 or 64 bit operating systems? Do I have to clean the total drive first and if so how? Help for non tech level appreciated.