How can I best replace Windows 7 32-bit with Windows 7 64-bit in a dual boot with Windows 8?

Sudeepto Dutta October 5, 2012

Currently I am dual booting Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with Windows 8 32-bit. I want to replace Windows 7 32-bit with Windows 7 64-bit. I have two partitions on Windows 7 and one for Windows 8 like this :

C : \ – Windows 7 installation files
D: \ – Windows 7 apps and files
E : \ – Windows 8

I want to ask whether installing Windows 7 64-bit on C:\ where Windows 7 32-bit was installed previously & leaving the other Windows 7 partition untouched (i.e D:\) where all my important files are stored, will I face any problem with that partition after installing Windows 7 64-bit?

Problems probably like files not working properly with 64-bit OS and other related bugs etc.

And will Windows 8 partition (i.e. E:\) be affected?

I am asking this since the boot loader is of Windows 8’s and I am reluctant to mess with the current configuration.

I have 4 GB of RAM now so I wanted to install the 64-bit Windows 7.

1. Eserpess der

Click the format button :P We...thats how I did it anyway

2. dhanunjayarao chunduri

you must take the backup of all data and then prepare for a clean installation.

Sudipta,

First backup all your important data files. Then boot with your Windows 7 64 bit CD and during installation process, re-create the delete and re-create the partitions. Install Windows 7 64 bit first on C:. Now install Windows 8 on the other partition. Restore your backed up data files on the third partition. Yeah, you need to re-install all the application. Till now I have not faced any major issues of application compatibility between 32bit and 64bit as all major applications have a corresponding 64bit version which you can install.

4. GrrGrrr

PS: Backup First.

Then go through the below link and follow the steps for Dual boot
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408280,00.asp
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/Software/How-to-dual-boot-Windows-8-and_10470.html

5. Chris Coutto

Yes re-installing windows 7 64bit to partition C will mess up the boot loader - it will not affect the partitions D & E but you will not be able to boot into windows 8.

You will need to re-install Windows 8 and configure for the dual boot again.
    Also all programs you have installed to drive D will not be available in windows 64bit - these will all need to be re-installed.

data (files like pictures, documents etc) will be safe but programs must be reinstalled.
    its best to take a back up of your files - you can use windows easy transfer to take the back up.

• Sudeepto Dutta

Thank You for the reply sir..

So what should be my order ??

Should I 1st first replace windows 8 since its boot loader is currently working ??

Or should I 1st replace windows 7's both partition ??

windows 64bit drivers are not the same as windows 32bits, also some programs perhaps refuse to work properly. You will have to reinstall applications since windows 7 64bits has two programfiles directory. Best to do clean install.

• Sudeepto Dutta

Thanks for the reply sir ....

I really wanted to know this info ...Now I will proceed with clean install

• Sudeepto Dutta

But What should be the order in which I replace both my os ??

Currently my windows 8's boot loader is working ... so should I remove it 1st ..??

Well you can do that

When you first boot up into Windows 8 that you're presented with a new graphical boot menu that'll let you choose between your Windows 7 and Windows 8 installations. Windows 8 will be the default, meaning if you don't manually choose Windows 7 from the menu, your computer will boot into Windows 8 after three seconds of inactivity. If you don't want to make Windows 8 the default quite yet, so here's how to make Windows 7 the default. On the boot menu, click on the button at the bottom that says "Change Defaults or Choose Other Options", and hit "Choose the Default Operating System". From there, you can pick Windows 7 from the menu.
        http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/windows-8-partition-manager/dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8.htm

cross check the default boot up wait time. The called "The time to display list of operating systems"

How to Choose a Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 8
        http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5817-startup-options-choose-default-os-run-startup-windows-8-a.html