How can I replace Ubuntu by Slackware on a dual boot with Windows 7?

Antonio Lordelo April 25, 2012

I have a dual boot set up, Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Now I want to replace Ubuntu with Slackware, but I don’t know if I can just format the partition in which Ubuntu is installed and put Slackware in there and that’s that.

Should I worry about messing up the bootloader? What should I do to achieve this without any issues?

1. christopher malek

"Should I worry about messing up the bootloader?"
    Which bootloader are you using, Windows or GRUB?

If during Ubuntu install you assigned separate partitions for "/", "/home" and swap then you can just install Slackware right ovver Ubuntu. OTOH, if you let Ubuntu do a default install, you will need to create at leat a "/" and a swap partitions and then install Slack.

Depending on your level of expertise there is one possible snag. Slackware still uses LILO bootloader which is a PITA to use and maintain.

2. Timothy Liem

If you don't use WUBI, just delete the Ubuntu's partition and give it Slack.

The answer to all of your questions are "it depends". If you used Wubi to install Ubuntu as if it was just another appliction, you would need to uninstall it through Windows.

If Ubuntu was installed as a side-by-side, you can whack the Ubuntu partition(s) and just install Slackware there. It will cause issues with the bootloader that you will need to address. I am assuming that you are using the Windows bootloader as the default and you will need to reinstall it after installing Slackware unless the Slackware installation gives you the opportunity to put its bootloader at another location (preferred). If it allows an alternat location, you will just need to update the Windows boot.ini file to point it to the bootloader for Slackware (I'm guessing it's grub2).

4. Kyem Ghosh

go to windows control panel and click add or remove softwares. You'll get ubuntu in the list. Uninstall it. Restart the windows. And insert your slackware disc or if you have an .iso file, mount it with demon tools and install it....

• Kyem Ghosh

u neednot think of the disk partition. Cz windows is your primary OS and the disk partition will remain same as it was created by windows. Simply uninstall ubuntu following the steps I posted in my prev comment. There will be no issue with disk partitioning. Yes Ubuntu, while installing, asks for a separate disk partitioning but its nothing as it wants to reserve a specific amount of space in the drive you install it to keep its system files safe. When you unistall it, these partition is deleted and some temporary files may remain which you can clean by using c cleaner