How can I replace a missing DLL file in Windows XP?

Michael Dillman April 25, 2012

My computer gives me an error that says missing DLL extended player file how do I recover it?

By the way, this is not the the computer with the problem. That computer has Windows XP and Internet Explorer 9.

1. james

i have a dll problem with my xp there is no sound and at start up my computer throws up an error the error is as follows- run dll error cmicnfg.cpl dll module not found can someone pls help me with this as there is no microsoft support anymore

2. Victor Ong

Well, one thing might be the fact that you have ie 9 on an xp machine. That's impossible according to microsoft. Check this out. It might have something to do with your missing dll.

3. gukan

go to dll and seach u r missing dll files and download and installed in u r pc.

4. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

can i get more info about ur issues? i still blur to understand ur prob.. u mean the popup windows apear when u start windows or when u start some program? if it happen after u start windows.. the \n the option have is 2. 1 is just like ha14 says, system restore to earlier point or date that u see the problem dont happen. 2 system restore in dos, this mean it will restore all ur windows file. thius i the safer action other then reformatting. but for whole system restore u must have experient in windows n understanding what iwll happen or waht the question popup need.

the second if u tell the problem is happen when u start some program.. then it probably 2 reason, 1 virus attack n corrupt ur program. 2 it just "natural disaster" that sometime happen to program when ur system is not stable especially hard disk n registry.. so u need to uninstall the program n install back.

hope i help.. n if i get more data, more help can be thinki to help u. forgive if it not related.

You can use windows restore point to revert back to an earlier state where you didnt had this problem.

Missing Microsoft Windows .dll files

DLL extended player?? is there any numbre or other messages?

Hello, if the .dll file belongs to a third party program installed in you computer, the best option would be to reinstall the program itself. Now, if the .dll belongs to the operating system itself, your best option would be to run the sfc command to check your system. To run the command try the following:

-- click on start
    -- click on run
    -- type cmd
    -- type the following command and press enter

sfc /scannow

-- let the scan finish

Keep in mind that when running this command and it finds a missing/corrupted operating system file, you will need to use the operating system installation disk to replace the file.