How do I best replace Linux with Windows 7 or Windows XP?

abhinandan reddy November 6, 2010

I want to format Linux operating system and install Windows 7 or Windows XP. Will any problem occur by doing this? Which would be better – Windows 7 or Windows XP?

1. Vitaly Gusarov

May be it is better choice to have both on your comp? So you can combine gaming capability of Windows with safety and stability of Linux? As for me I use Win XP AND Ubuntu, and it is really excellent combination!

• Baskaran

Dear Sir, I have installed Ubuntu in windows7 (dual booting).
      in windows 7 internet is working. But i am unable use internet in Ubuntu. Kundly help me

Baskaran,

I recommend that you ask a new question!

After backing up your data in Linux, you can easily format your hard drive by popping a bootable Windows installation CD, DVD, or USB flash drive into your computer. During the Windows installation process you will be asked on which partition you want to install Windows. At that point you can also format the system partition and other partitions on your hard drive.As to whether Windows XP or Windows 7 is better is an easy question. If you have legal copies of either or if you don't mind spending a little more, I would recommend to go with Windows 7. Windows 7 will be supported for several years to come, while Windows XP will soon not receive security updates from Microsoft.However, whether or not you can actually use Windows 7 depends on your hardware! Make sure that drivers exist for your computer, i.e. your motherboard, graphics card, sound card, network card etc. Unfortunately, it seems like the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor is not available for Linux and also won't run properly in Wine (virtual machine for Windows software). Does anyone else know a workaround for this issue?Finally, may I ask why you want to switch from Linux to Windows? Did you have any issues with Linux? Did you switch from Windows to Linux before?