How do I replace files in the Windows System32 folder?

James Lewis September 16, 2012

I tried to replace a modified winver.exe into C:\Windows\System32 folder but it prompts that I don’t have permission.

What kind of permission do I need?

1. Dylan Brendan

Just run a administrator

2. James Lewis

Thanks guys. Yes I'm just trying to change the version display, nothing much. very2 appreciate those answers you all gave. Thanks again

3. Saurav Azad

you need admin rights to alter files in system32 folder

4. Dalsan

You can also Take Ownership in Properties settings for the Security settings. Just give the ownership back after making the changes. I do agree with the rest as replacing system files can render your operating system unstable or unusable if you do not know exactly what you are doing and why. From the name of the file it sounds like you are trying to modify the displayed Windows version or pictures, but if you modify the file improperly, you will either BSOD or the changes will revert backto the original if you don't have the proper batch script. i would use other methods like shell 32 before trying to modify the winver file.

5. Matt Cruz

This is kind of an open ended question, as I really recommend not messing around with that.

Are you trying to change the registered owner? That's a good reason to have to modify the winver.exe, but I think this is a better way to do it:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/vista/change-the-registered-owner-and-company-name-in-windows/

6. Erlis Dhima

Even logged in as an administrator, you can't replace some windows files! (Like SAM file and many more..)
    Sometimes, the better way is to log in with a linux os, and after finding the location of the file, replace them with the one you want!
    Of course, this is not recommended for beginners, since you might destroy your computer!
    I don't even understand why you want to replace windows system files...
    If there is any bug, try to fix it with windows repair tool!

7. Usman Mubashir

you just need to log in as admin

You need to be an administrator to replace system files (copy from an elevated command prompt or Windows Explorer window). But this also begs the question of why you are attempting to manually replace a system file. This is generally not a wise thing to do.

• ahmed Fouad khalil

I do not recommend that too, if you do not know what you make it can crash the system