How should I replace my blown Gateway motherboard?

Scott November 20, 2011

I had a power supply go. Ordered a new one, installed it. Still nothing. If I change the motherboard with an exact match, what else do I have to change or re-install?? Is it worth the trouble for a 4 year old computer? If not should I get a newer, better motherboard? If so what do I also need to upgrade? Or should I just build a new one from scratch and harvest some parts from the old one? Budget is a concern right now.

1. michael zl

when changing an 4 year old mother board you will need
    1.new ram
    2.new processor 
    3.possibly new GPU (unless your old GPU is pci.exress)
    all the other things are usually compatible, ie
    most motherboards still have IDE connectors

if the hard drive containing windows IS is good then you could just switch the motherboard, but notice that possible for OEM specifications and harware footprint maybe WIndows os will switch to trial mode or will refuse to boot?

Hello, if it is worth it or not it is up to you.  For me personally, I would say that it is not worth it for a 4 year old computer.  The reason I say this, is because if you replace the motherboard with same brand/model, it might more expensive than getting a modern motherboard because it might be hard to find and therefore could be more expensive if you find it.  What do you use the computer for?  If you are into gaming and heavy processing programs like photoshop, autocad, I would say, updating your computer is the better option.

With regards to updating, I would say if budget is a concern, I would try to replace the motherboard with same brand/model if possible...or something similar.  The reason I say this, is because doing this way, you just transfer/install the other parts like memory, cd/dvd drive, cpu, graphics card (if available) as long as the parts are in good working condition.  Keep in mind that if you do it this way, your cpu has to match the socket in your motherboard.  Regardless of what option you take, you will have to install a operating system and depending on the circumstances you might even have to buy it.

If you upgrade to a modern motherboard, chances are the only parts you could reuse are, the cd/dvd, the new power supply, and your harddrive.  Most modern motherboards, do not come with sockets for IDE drives...they use SATA, which is faster than IDE any day...  so if your harddrive is IDE you might be out of luck.  The same thing applies to your cd/dvd drive too. New motherboards come only with IDE connectors for floppy drive.  Also, chances are, you would need to get a new graphics card, memory, and CPU.

Best way to build a new computer would be to see if you can find a barebones kit in places like tiger direct.  They sell barebone kits with pretty much everything on it.  Most times the only thing you have to get is a harddrive and/or graphics card.  Are you sure that the power supply's cables are connected the right way?  It could happen that if you connect the power cable the wrong way, like for example connecting the ground cable to the wrong connector could cause the computer to not even turning on.

4. M.S. Smith

If you find an EXACT match, you will not have to change anything else, assuming that nothing else is broken. Since your computer is still not even booting, you don't know that for sure. 

If you can not find an exact match, your best bet will be to scrap the current motherboard/processor/RAM combo and buy new. These parts work as an eco-system. A brand new motherboard is unlikely to fit your old processor. It's also unlikely to accept your old RAM, because given the age of your system, it's probably fitted with DDR2. Today's motherboards generally accept DDR3 only.

Other parts will probably work with the new mobo/cpu/ram, assuming that your system is not outdated enough to still be using things like IDE hard drives and etc.