Is it possible to repartition Kubuntu without having to reinstall?

Keefe Kingston November 1, 2012

I was a fool. I thought setting the boot, root, user, and home partitions apart would be a good idea, and ease up on the upgrade pains (like a few articles told me). But it’s only been a pain from the beginning. Now i have Kubuntu 12.10 Beta, and want to upgrade to the latest official release. However, i was wondering if it’s possible to somehow re-partition my Kubuntu setup, so that all the separate partitions were all on one partition, without losing data.

Is it possible to backup all the files in a Linux distro from multiple partitions, and restore it all to one? The Swap partition needs to be separate…I know that much. I just wish to undo this error in my judgment, without having to re-install my programs all over again.

Is any of this possible, or is my hope unjustified?

1. Tarek Ramadan

susendeep dutta

this is the best answer

2. Aniket Singh

u should go with susendeep dutta answer coz its working.

3. Douglas Mutay

Yes it's somewhat possible by using GParted to resize your partitons. Just make sure you make a backup of all your data. Good luck

• Pwince Khan

thats what susendeep dutta said

• Naveen Kumar

worked for me too.............

Visit the link below -

It says that to backup all the data present in those different partitions and restore them after installing stable version of Linux.

You can use GParted to resize your partitons after backup has been created -

• Ahmed Khalil

Thanks for the links it adds more for me

• Keefe Kingston

Thanks for your help :)