How can I re-partition my hard drive when it says ‘dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system’?

Rickesh John April 26, 2012

I bought a new laptop, HP Pavillion G6, which came in with almost 450 GB of hard-disk space allocated to a single partition. I tried the normal shrink and create to make partition of this drive, but constantly got this error message:
“dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system”

I tried different methods, like shrinking the volume for command line and then making a new volume, but all those efforts went in vain. Please advice.

1. dilip

use a win 7 x64 dvd and go to boot menu create partitions and make a fresh install of 7 on c drive. after installing format new partitions.before this metod backup ur personal files to a ext.. hrd dsk..

2. Chetan

If you trying a partition in window 7 and get a message"dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system", then make partition by this different method by using partition wizard program...........
    http://straight2masti.com/dynamic-disks-are-not-supported-by-this-operating-system-1231

3. sasidhar

hai rickesh;
    got the same problem that you got ... did you get the answer for your post if yes, please tell me also

Hello, what version of windows 7 came installed in your laptop? When you went to disk management to try and shrink the partition, how many partitions showed there? I would be surprised if it is only one, especially for HP. There should be two other partitions there, one for recovery and one named tools or software. There should also be another partition named system reserved. If any of these partition do not show in Computer is because they do not have a letter assigned to them. System reserved does not have a letter assigned to it for sure.

One posible option you have if there is a partition such as tools in your system, is to move the contents there to another location and then delete that partition. Do not touch the recovery partition at all, it should stay there in case you needed in the future. Is there any chance that you can get a screen capture of disk management and post it somewhere?

• Rickesh John

Hey Fidelis,

Thanks for the reply, the problem is now resolved. True, there are more than one partitions present and as my OS is Home Basic, I wasn't able to make more partitions.

I got the solution to this problem from one of your replies in this post:
      http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/allocate-free-hard-drive-space-shrinking-drive-windows/

Keep it up. :)

Hello, I am glad my previous answer was of help.