How can I repair my Windows boot?

Denise March 9, 2010

I cannot boot fully into windows because of this error:
The ordinal522 cannot be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.exe

I have tried a repair install numerous times. I don’t want to do a full reinstall because my XP has been activated as many times as allowed. What do I do?

I found something about this online. It seems the problem is with Internet Explorer.

As a solution, you might want to try reinstalling the IE from the command line.

See the first answer here

2. Steve Campbell

Denise,

It probably would be best if you did a fresh reinstall of Windows. You can always call them and they will activate it without any hassle.

You could try loading a copy of the iertutil.exe off of another computer that has XP installed (just run a search) and copy it over with a usb drive on the command prompt you come to when using the Windows disc to do a repair. Might be worth a try.

Thank you Steve.
      That is what I figured I should try. I'll let you know how it goes!

How did you do the repair? By booting to the XP disk starting the actually installation and then choosing repair or recovery console?

Personally I would boot to safe mode and run the system restore and that should fix it up for you.

If you can not get to safe mode can you boot to command prompt? I can give you the code for a system restore from the command line as well.