How to repair a Verizon Droid 4 with water damage?

Cristián T December 23, 2013

So I was with some friends and someone who needed to call someone else needed to borrow my phone, and she was really drunk and literally vomited all over it. She wiped all the vomit off of the phone, but now for some reason it won’t turn on. I was just wondering how to fix a problem like that without having to send it to a professional service company. I like to learn how to do things like that myself, for experience. Thank you so much for all your help.

1. Francisco D

I know this might sound stupid, but it worked for me when my phone got sea water on it. Because of the salt, even when completely dry, it didn't function properly. I had to do something because dry salt is like poison for electronics.
    In an act of despair, I separated all of its pieces and washed just the phone with normal water (left the battery out of this). In your case, if nothing else works, I think it is the best to do too. Wash it with tap water (filtered water is even better 'cause it contains much less minerals and metals) and then put it on rice to completely dry it like they tell in here! Also, use alcohol to clean some details before drying it.

• Cristián T

Thanks for the information! Since I'm on vacation at the moment and I left my phone back home, I'll let you know if I have any problems! :)

2. Michael

Assuming that the rice absorbed the moisture, anther issue might be that a film of contamination could have seeped behind any hard buttons (applies to water contamination). The hard buttons are typically membrane style - a carbonized silicon-rubber button presses against gold plated contacts on a circuit board. If that's the case, you will need to find a way to open the phone to access those parts. The carbon button can be cleaned with pure alcohol and a clean cotton swab, and the gold contacts on the circuit board can be lightly polished with a standard "pink" eraser. Don't touch these parts with fingers afterwards, as skin oil can easily insulate the contact again. If any hard buttons are separate and enclosed, you might have to replace them entirely.

• Cristián T

Thanks for the info! I'm on vacation right now and I left my phone back home. When I get back I'll try that and I'll let you know if I have any problems! :)

3. MrMcSnuggles

YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO VOID YOUR WARRANTY ;/ WAHMP WAHMP - On a lighter note merry X-Mas

• Cristián T

Thanks man, but I've been pretty well-aware that of that since I decided to post this thread.

4. Alex

Bag of rice is the usual trick. Open the phone, remove the battery and everything else you can by hand, and place it all in a bag on rice. Make sure it is covered completely and let it sit for a day or two.

• Cristián T

I see. Thanks for letting me know!

• Cristián T

I'm on vacation at the moment and my phone is at my house. I'll try the rice trick and I'll let you know if I have any problems.

5. Matt S

Oh, man, that's unfortunate. Maybe try the rice trick; put the phone in a bag of rice, which should absorb the moisture. You'll have to leave it for a couple of days. A tried this on a phone and it did work, but the phone I tested it with was shut off before it malfunctioned because from the water.

• Cristián T

Are you sure I don't need to open the phone up or anything before inserting it into a bag of rice? And what happens if that doesn't work?