How can I repair or remove and reinstall Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7?

MFK August 21, 2010

1. IE8 suddenly wont take me GMail.com (even if I add it to Trusted Sites) and there seems to be the overall inability to handle https.

2. All of the Use SSL and TLS entries in IE’s Advanced Settings are grayed out, I can’t change them even if I run it as administrator.

3. Earlier I had a add-on mess up (the Ask Toolbar slipped in with the darn Foxit Reader) and IE Reset or System Restore wouldn’t work. I did a bit of manual cleaning and it seemed to work fine for sometime.

4. Add / Remove Windows components is useless since trying to remove IE8 from there and then adding it again did nothing, it still remembered my homepage and other settings, it was more like Hide and Unhide!

Basically, I have a broken browser that should be removed and reinstalled. Could anybody suggest how to go about this?

Reagrds ~ MFK.

1. MFK

@ Cassandra_IE_Team & kittleboy

thanks for your time, but i think i've indicated your suggested solution did not work

@ Anomaly

that was the first thing i did ;)

2. kittleboy

It happened for me also !
    just go through " control panel " and then " programs and features ", then " Turn windows features on or off " on the up left side.
    one time remove the tick mark, restart and then put it back.

3. Anomaly

Have you tried Tools- Internet Options-Advanced-Reset in IE8

This will reset IE8 to it's default state and is to be used when IE8 is not functional anymore.

4. Cassandra_IE_Team

Hi MFK,

Since Internet Explorer 8 is embedded in Windows 7. You have to turn it off and then turn it back on again in order to reinstall IE8.

1. Close all programs.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
    4. In the tasks pane, click Turn Windows features on or off
    5. In the list of windows features, place a check box next to Internet Explorer 8.
    6. You receive a message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

Cheers,
    Cassandra
    IE Outreach Team

Why are you using Internet Explorer in the first place? If there is no reason why you need to continue using this crappy browser, then please do us a favor and ditch it. There are many more and much better browsers out there.

Try Firefox or Chrome.

You can export all your favorites / bookmarks from Internet Explorer and import them into Firefox or Chrome. Just in case that's a concern.

• MFK

Dear Tina,

I have half a dozen other browsers and therefore I guess I'm already doing you / you'll a favor ;) NO HARD FEELINGS!

1. Firefox
      2. Firefox Tor Bundle
      3. Opera
      4. Chrome
      5. Chromium
      6. Iron

Jokes apart, I use the Gmail Drive Extension (http://www.viksoe.dk/) that has IE dependancies. I am fan of the extension since it conveniently backs up stuff to my Gmail account and I don't really need a home server or third party tools to access stuff away from home. I hope this gives a better picture of the situation and my need to fix IE8.

Will a real IE Ninja please stand up?

Regards ~ MFK.

• Effoff

Ppl who thing installing another browser is a fix for an issue for an IE browser must be effed in their head.  The reason why someone is asking to repair IE8 is because the workplace environment has a standard that must be adhered to or if cross browser compatibility development is required.  Installing other browsers does not resolve anything.  Shove your beloved browser up your twat and think of a valid way to resolve an issue at hand instead of looking for another solution to patch over something.