Is it possible to rename a file from another PC while it’s stored on a network drive?

Ryan J McCallum May 19, 2011

I have a couple shows stored on a 2TB drive that I like to watch on my PC, but because all my USB ports are usually taken up and I don’t trust my USB port hub (disconnects at random sometimes), I plugged it up to my brother’s computer and accessed it as a shared Network Drive. This is the first time I’ve ever done something like this and for the most part it works well.

However, because one of my shows has like a hundred and something episodes (meaning it’s a folder with 100+ files), I tend to mark my place by adding a bunch of “a”s to the end of the file I just watched, essentially bookmarking it so I know where to start next time. I receive an error message when I attempt this on the network drive. Earlier the message was something about access being read-only, this time it was:

“The drive that this file or folder is stored on does not allow long file names, or names containing blanks or any of the following characters: *bunch of characters I’m not using*”.

All of the files have blank spaces in them and the names aren’t that long (except for the episode I last watched, which I “aaaaaaa”d from my brother’s computer since I couldn’t rename it from mine).

Is there a possible workaround to this?

Hello, you can rename a file/folder on a network drive.  What you have to do is keep the names under the allowed number of letters/characters and avoid using the characters not allowed.  You are saying your files have blank spaces in them...so do not use blank spaces.  Give it a trial run by renaming your files without blank spaces and as long as they are under 16 characters they should be ok.    

2. Shivaprataprai

yes , you can rewrite the folder name from another computer. For that you have to connect network between two computer .

Could a problem with the data format - I'd try reformatting it as NTFS not FAT32, assuming your clients are all win7. If not, I assume it's a dodgy windows network problem - these kind of errors happen a lot in old windows network environments which are quite restricted. 

Post us a little info about your home network and OSes and maybe we can narrow it down more.