How can I have my name removed from replies to my comments that appear in Facebook’s public search listing?

Rock23 April 6, 2011

I had posted some comments on a few Facebook pages around two months ago. At that time I didn’t have my ‘public search listing’ set to ”off”. I wasn’t aware that there exists such a setting as it was buried deep down.

Last month when I googled my name, I found it returning at least 20 search results. All of them were of the comments I had posted on Facebook pages. So I posted my query on MakeUseOf Answers and I was told to turn off the public search listing, and so I did.

In fact, I also deleted all my comments which were appearing in the Google search results. I also got Google’s spider to re-crawl through those pages using Google’s own webmaster tools removal feature. And now Google has updated its indexes related to those pages and the cached pages don’t have my comments in them.

It had also happened that when I posted my comments on those pages, some people also posted comments which were directed towards me. For example

Rock23: Hey guys, this album rocks!
John Davis: @rock23 what is so good in it?

My problem is that even though I deleted my comments, Google still returns searches of my name from that very page because the comment of John Davis has my name in it.

So what is the mechanism Google uses? Does it only search the names of the commentors on a particular page, or it even searches their entire comments?

Will these search results automatically disappear after some time because the pages, these results will direct to, don’t have my comments, or will these results continue to persist when someone googles my name because those pages still have my name in comments of other users?

There’s only one help question on Facebook regarding this topic but its rather useless.

The problem I have seems very very complex and I can’t find a solution myself, so I need your help!

1. Yonkers

Most likely you would have to defriend them and place the same link that you found cached on the Google search page in the Google URL Removal Tool. It may take up to two weeks, but this will finally allow those comments to be removed.

I also have a link here directed to a Google Webmaster Forum specifically for comments made on public pages that show up in the Google Search Engine.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=7231de8900ce2d6c&hl=en

Possible

1) click on applications on the left lower corner of this page
    2) click on groups
    3) click MY groups at the top left corner
    4) click leave group =]

Login to your Facebook account
    Hit Privacy
    Hit Search
    Now deselect the following statement: “Create a public search listing for me and submit it for search engine indexing.”
    Hit Save

3. Irvine

1) Go to facebook.com
    2) Click "Account" in the upper right corner of the webpage
    3) Click "Privacy Settings"
    4) Then look for the Title: Apps and Websites
    5) Click "Edit your settings"
    6) Look for the word or words that says "Public search"
    7) Then click "Edit Settings"
    8) Uncheck "Enable public search"

4. Rock23

Madam,
    thankyou for the info.

If you can also let me know me whether those search results will remain intact forever? Do posts(with it the comments) made by facebook page owners get deleted after a period of time from their facebook wall?

Those comments which have my name don't have anything against me, its just that they are appearing in google searches, thats the only problem. And some of those comments were made by page owners themselves, so how to contact them?
    Not all the comments I made on various facebook pages are appearing in the searches, why is that so?

I literally learn that once you create a facebook account, you won't have anything like privacy. It doesn't matter to them if I am 18 year or lesser(or even if i have my search listing off), they'll show anything and everything that i post beyond me and friends' profiles. Thats true madam?

And If you can think of anything else that can be done to help my cause...

Rock,

to summarize: your name is mentioned in the comment of someone else and Google lists this comment in search results for your name.

Obviously, as long as that person's comment mentioning your name is public, Google will return it as a search result. I do not think that there is much you can do about it.

I recommend that you nicely ask that person to delete their comment. If the comment with your name in it is an offense or is seriously damaging your reputation, you could pursue legal action. Mind you, this would be an extreme measure!