How to remove write protection from a Toshiba USB drive?

mango wodzak October 14, 2012

I have a 16GB Toshiba USB thumb drive which has suddenly for no apparent reason become write protected. I was in the middle of copying some files over to it, when suddenly I got the message saying disk was write protected. I am unable to format it as I am told it is write protected too.

I have tried setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies to make it writable, and I have tried running diskpart to clear the read only, I have also tried runningmUSBfixer to reformat the drive. None of the above appear to have made any difference, my drive is still read only. There is no external switch to write protect the device. Any other ideas on how to restore writability?

1. mango wodzak

This didn't work for me.. says the disk is still write protected..

2. Tama Keane

Probably a bit late now but try using the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' option while the drive is in, wait about 10 secs, then remove the drive and put back in.
    This sorted the problem out for me straight away and no need to format drive and lose data.

• mango wodzak

thanks for the suggestion.. I gave it a shot, but it still says write protected.. The only suggestion I have still yet to try is using Linux to format the drive.. Still haven't got hold of a Linux machine to try that one yet.. If that doesn't work, I'm going to give up with it and hit it with a hammer. (I'm hoping that the mere threat will frighten the drive into becoming writable again!!).
      Cheers!
      Mango.

3. Ramswroop Siyota

I have try this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies but storage device policies no shown. Please help me.

4. sameh moheb

i need software remove the write protection from my SanDisk pen drive i do all u said to remove it but i can't
    my flash is 4 gb format with NTSF

5. Adrian Rea

It is a long shot but some drives have a tiny switch on them (like old 3.25in disks) that you could use to write protect the whole disk. Have a look it may have one :)

• mango wodzak

As stated in the question.. the device does not have an external switch for write protection.. thanks for the suggestion though..

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Ok have you tried using Linux to format it?

• mango wodzak

no.. good suggestion though.. I think I have an old copy of ubuntu on CD somewhere, not sure how to use it, but I guess if I boot from it, it should let me format the USB stick.. Is it easy to format a drive with ubuntu, or to change the device to writable?

• Joe Webb

Do you have the nasty program Bitlocker enabled? It seems to hose USB drives whenever it desires. Thanks Microsoft.

• Shashi

linux is also not able to format the drive i tried it.

6. kumar raja

Use any Software to resolve the problem or follow the below link for more
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5997605_remove-protection-toshiba-flash-drive.html

• mango wodzak

The suggestion for reformatting the drive using the HP utility was mentioned by Drew Butler.. unfortunately it never worked.. just threw back the message that the disk was write protected..

7. Imesh Chandrasiri

I think there is something wrong with the flash drive firmware. you won't be able to fix, it unless you have tool to read the firmware. the best option is to take the drive to the vendor so that they can fix it!.

You can also use neo9 tool -

http://www.box.net/shared/9hgp81ndgs

Check whether it can be helpful or not.

• mango wodzak

thanks for the suggestion, but when I run this too, it says it can't format it because the device is write protected..

• mango wodzak

I tried this, and get the error message: preformat not supports this IC! so still no luck.. :(

a) Right-click on usb drive and select properties in the explorer windows.
        b) In the properties window, select the security tab.
        c) Select the ‘user’ under user name and click on ‘Edit’.
        d) Check if you have Write permissions. If you don’t, check the option “Full” for full permissions or “Write” for write permissions.

Diskpart-Removing Readonly flag from Volume
        http://blog.patricknielsen.net/2010/02/diskpart-removing-readonly-flag-from.html

UFix
        http://ishare.iask.sina.com.cn/f/11263694.html?
        click the green button to download

if you have windows cd, first insert usb key and then boot on windows cd, then act like you will install windows but on usb key and choose format usb key.

perhaps EaseUS Partition Master can delete volume and partitionthen to format?

• mango wodzak

When I select properties on the USB drive, I cannot see any "security" tab.. there is a "general" "tools" Hardware" "Sharing" "ReadyBoost" and "Customize", but no "security".

As stated in the question, I have already tried removing the readonly flag with diskpart, but that didn't help either..

and when running the UFix tool, it seems to be unable to find the USB drive, as the "Control disk" dropdoiwn menu is empty..

Thanks for the suggestion with EasUS Partition manager.. I'll see if I can get a copy from somewhere..

cheers,
          mango.

• abhi

Sane thing happened with my 8gb toshiba pendrive

10. Drew Butler

Try HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. This tool is not specific to HP only. Also works on other brands

Read more: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html#ixzz29J6wYtaK

Good Luck :)

• mango wodzak

thanks for the suggestion, but when I run this it says it can't format it because the device is write protected..