How can I remove Windows XP from an EasyBCD dual boot installation with Windows 7?

Prakhar Vaish August 4, 2011

How can I remove one of my operating systems? am using two via EasyBCD. Now I want to remove Windows XP, but I don’t want to remove Windows 7.

1. Jinish.K.G

Open the command prompt with admin privilege.
    Type the command bcdedit and press enter.
    A list with all boot entries will appear
    Find out the path and description of windows XP.
    The long sequence of characters marked as the identifier.
    Select and copy the identifier path.
    Type the command bcdedit /bcdedit
    For copying the identifier string just right click the mouse after copying the identifier.
    Press enter and reboot
    Or you can use the BCDEdit utility to modify the boot entries in windows 7

Which partition is marked "system" in Disk Management ?

If W7 is "system" and "active", then you can just format the XP partition after
    saving your user data and use EasyBCD to delete the entry for XP from W7's BCD.

if There is still a boot.ini. bootmgr boots XP by chainging to NTLDR. 
    You can find the boot.ini in use with EasyBCD > tools > "edit legacy
    entries"

If XP is "system" and "active", then that's where W7 has put its boot files, so
    you'll need to be a bit more careful removing XP.If you get yourself a live copy of
    Linux, burn it to a CD and boot it directly from the CD without installing
    it, you can use it to delete everything on the XP partition except your
    user files (office docs, photos, music, etc - anything that's important to you thats not
    system related) , bootmgr, and the folder named boot. Then use EasybCD (add/remove
    entries) to delete the XP choice from the W7 boot menu

• Jade Green

To remove Windows Xp from dual boot Partition you need both Easy BCD as well as Easeus Partition Manager. Open Both the softwares simultaneously in the Windows 7 Computer. In the Easy BCD select the Write MBR Option for Windows 7. Then using the Easeus Partition Delete the XP Partition and select the Windows 7 partition and select the Option as "Make as Active", and Voila you have a computer working with Windows 7 alone. All the Best and let me know the result of your work. Thank You.