How can I remove Windows 8 CPE from a dual boot installation with Windows 7?

Frank Pratt August 5, 2012

I currently have a Windows 7 & Windows 8 CPE on my desktop. I wish to keep Windows 7, and being satisfied with Windows 8, no longer need that OS, I’ll wait for the actual release in the fall.

So, how would I edit the boot menu to do so and once in Windows 7, using Computer Management, I can safely format the Windows 8 partition in one fell swoop?

1. Benjamin Glass

Simply delete the partition Windows 8 is on, then expand the Windows 7 partition using some good partition software--say, GParted Linux. Then remove the Windows 8 entry from the boot screen by using the MSConfig utility.

2. Tony Batty

Or your other bet is format the damn thing once and for all, since it will still be installed on your C drive partition

Hello, you could just format the partition where windows 8 is and then use the bootrec command to fix the the boot and MBR. Here is more info on the bootrec command:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

4. James Gillespie

Log into Windows 7
    Click Start and Type Partition and select create and format hard disk partitions.
    Then format or delete the partition that you had windows 8 on.

5. Usman Mubashir

I have encountered a similar problem, explore a boot manager program that will give you access to a .txt file, deleting some obvious lines from the text will resolve the problem.
    I upgraded my windows 7 to 8 and changed the settings from Computer Management.

6. Lambvolution

format the partition contains windows 8 under windows 7

8. Suman Acharya

you can also delete OS from boot list using "msconfig"
    win logo+R
    type msconfig
    under boot tab there will be installed OS listed

or you can edit boot configuration data by running command prompt as an administrator and type "bcdedit /?"
    you will be guided through.

goto disk management , make sure the Windows 7 insatalled partion is active partition and delete the other partition with Win 8.