How can I remove a printer in Windows 7?
Question by Donald LeCornu /

I am using Windows 7. Under the “Devices and Printers” I deleted a printer. But when I go to print a document and select a printer from the drop down box, the printer is still listed. How do I get rid of it.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Bahgat Morcos Abdelshaheed

How can I Remove Devices and Prnters in widows 7

• Azamat “Bohed” E

Hi, Donald! You should try to uninstall the driver with the original installer. It should come with your printer on a CD. Once the driver is on your computer, if you run the installer again it will give you an option to Remove everything (uninstall). That should do the job. Let me know if it helped.

• Donald LeCornu

I opened the “Devices and Printers,” right clicked, and proceeded to delete the printer.  This is a wireless device. Then I proceeded to add it back.  I did this because I could no longer communicate with it, and deleting it and adding it back again made me able to communicate with it. So I do not want to uninstall the driver.

Start -> control panel -> Devices and printers, then right-click on these no-longer wanted printers and select “remove device”.

Add or remove a printer

Removing Nonexistent printer from printer selection drop down menu

to remove the icon
    C:UsersYOURNAMEAppDataLocalMicrosoftDevice Metadatadmrccacheen-US
    There you will see subfolders corresponding to your installed devices. Within each sub folder you’ll see a folder named ‘DeviceInformation’. Within that folder is the icon for your device.

1. CLick Start > Run > Services.msc
    2. Locate the Print Spooler service, and right-click > Properties > stop service.
    3. Open My Computer and browse to c:WindowsSystem32spoolPrinters
    4. DELETE the contents of that folder.
    5. Restart the Print Spooler service.

• Donald LeCornu

A BIG thank you! That worked, now how do you get rid of the duplicate Fax devices?

Glad printer problem was fixed.
      What do you mean by duplicate fax devices? how many you have.

1.Open the Control Panel then Programs and Features in the Control Panel.
      2.Click Turn Windows features on or off in the left column of the Programs and Features window.
      3.Expand Print and Document Services and then uncheck Windows Fax and Scan.
      5.Click OK and Click Restart Now to reboot the computer.

to install the fax repeat the same procedure but this time Check the box Windows Fax and Scan.

or try the following
      1)Start type cmd and launch with administrative rights
      2)on the black screen copy paste:
      printui /s /t2
      3)enter and this will open printer service properties the choose remove?

for more info
      1) Go to Start > Help and Support
      2) Enter (copy paste): Set up your computer to send and receive faxes
      3) Follow the directions.