How can I remove pre-installed software from a new computer?

Ken Bryson January 14, 2011

I have a new HP desktop computer. It came from the manufacturer with lots of software pre-installed on it that I do not use. My guess is it is slowing the computers perfomance down. How do I get rid of the software?

I can vouch for both programs. PCDecrapifier is really good at finding trial and unnecessary software installed by manufacturers.

Revo Uninstaller is one of the best software removers. Its main advantage is the fact that when you remove the program it also removes all the registry entries.

PCDecrapifier does what it is advertised to do. It is very easy to use. Download the program to your new pc and run it. It will show you what it can uninstall on a screen and it will give you a description. You can get rid of software like trials, additional tools that you do not need. It works well.

Revo Uninstaller is a pretty good tools because not only uninstalls applications but it also gets rid of registry entries.

3. Kenb1121

Thanks Tina

Ken,

you can uninstall software through the Windows > Control Panel > Add/Remove Program or > Uninstall a Program.

However, I recommend that you get a third party application that handles this task. For a recommendation, check out this article: Revo Uninstaller Will Hunt Down Your Bloatware

We also had a similar question previously. Have a look at the answers: Which pre-installed Vista and HP clutter can I remove safely from my notebook?

Apparently, PCDecrapifier was developed for this task.

Let us know what software you got rid of and whether it improved your computer's performance!

• Susendeep dutta

Will uninstalling programs by using ccleaner will be as effective as Revo installer?

Most likely not.

CCleaner doesn't feature a "real" deinstaller itself. It just runs the uninstaller provided by the Software you are trying to remove (very much the same as using the Windows built-in "Add & Remove Programs" section).

You'll get the best results [in removing software] using one of the methods mentioned by Tina (preferably Revo or Decrapifier) and THEN running CCleaner.

• Godzonekid

Technically not 100% correct. I have used ccleaner to uninstall programmes that did not show up in Add/Remove in Windows, where there was no uninstaller showing in the All Programs listing and that REVO failed to find. Go figure.