How do I remove photos from the photo library on my iPod Touch?
Question by Jo McCormick /

I have an iPod Touch. How do I remove photos from the photo library?

My PC loaded all pictures onto the iPod, including some that I don’t want on my iPod. I have UN-synced all the photos in iTunes, hoping to remove them. However, this has still left around 180 on the iPod Touch under the photo library. I don’t have a camera on the iPod, so these are not in a camera roll or anything like that.

Please help.

PS: I’d just like to say a big thank you to Jim Henderson for his help in removing dead tracks from my iPod, which meant I was able to get rid of over 2000 duplicates. Thank goodness his how to came up in my Google search. :)

• Martha

i had exactly the same problem! what i did was i created a new folder in my documents (pictures) and didn’t put any photos in it, then i went into itunes and clicked on my ipod (which was already plugged in) clicked on photos, chose that folder and pressed sync. because the folder is empty there are no photos to transfer onto your ipod and as a result photo library disapeares on your ipod! sounds confusing but its really not!

• teresita

i have picture in my ipod itouch..this my quetion and plssss help to remove the picture attach in library itouch 5th generation model.there are have a 210 picture..

1 Create a folder on your hard drive Call it iPod Photos for example
    2 Drag the photos you want fr into the folder
    2 Open iTunes, select your iPod in the iTunes Source list.
    3 Click the Photos tab and select “Synch photos from.”
    4 Choose “Choose Folder” from the pop-up menu and select the iPod photos folder you created.

Archived – iPod photo: How to delete imported photos from iPod

CopyTrans Photo shareware?

• Jo McCormick

Thank you Ha but i actually want to remove photos not put photos onto my ipod!

well what i wanted to explain on the first method was to start from zero, i mean add your photos in a folder then sync to ipod in such a way all your ipod photos will be replaced with the new ones so undesired ones will be removed also you will get all your favorite photos.

• Jo McCormick

does anyone else have any other suggestions?

• Lieschen Müller

1. On iPod:
      – close all apps running in the background, esp. photo-app and photo-related apps you might have installed
      – restart iPod
      2. On the computer:
      – create a new folder, no matter whether as subfolder of the directory your photos are kept or anywhere else — don’t add any content!
      – connect iPod, click photo tab in iTunes, select the newly created _empty_ folder to be synced. The albums / photos on your iPod should be replaced by an album containing — nothing
      – to get rid of the empty album uncheck “sync photos” in the iTunes photo tab, it should warn you that all photos are going to be removed.
      Confirm that and you should be done ;-)

In case it doesn’t work look for a file/folder named “ipod photo cache”, usually in the folder/s your photos are stored on your computer (e.g. “my photos”). Delete it and start again from step 1.

Hope this helps

• bhosdi

create one folder(album) on your ipod in “photos”.lets say that folder to b “A” .click on that folder on uripod and then click “edit” on the top right hand corner .a window will be opened on ur ipod and in that select “add” and then select the fotos which u want to keep on ur ipod.after doing this click on “done” so that all ur wanted photos are cpied in your album named “A”.
      noe create one folder (lets say it to be “B”) on ur pc and add 1 or 2 photos, then sync that folder with itunes so that all ur photos in your photo library r replaced by by the photos in youe folder named “B”.
      in this way u can keep ur required photos in album named “A”on ur ipod & u can replace your old photos in photo library will be replaced by whatever folder on ur pc u sync with.
      hope this works

• sas

thank you! this is the first thing that has worked :D

• Jo McCormick

can someone please help with this?

Actually, “unsyncing” will remove them, so if it hasn’t then you have’t done it correctly. When your iPod is plugged in , unchecking the “sync my photos” button will show your space being saved on the lower bar in iTunes (where it breaks down the device drive usage) – click sync and this WILL be reflected on your device.

UNLESS – you’re using iCloud and Photostream is set up. If this is the case, you need to disable photostream on your ipod; do this from Settings -> iCloud -> Photostream.

• Jo McCormick

thanks for that. i hadnt turned the photo stream off so i did that and then went into itunes made sure photos was unchecked and resynced the ipod in the hops that this would update the info on it and the photos would be gone. BUT it didnt work and there are still 189 photos on the ipod :(

where am i going wrong?

• nicole

i tried and it still wont erase my photos. what do i do?