How do I remove PC Optimizer Pro from my PC?

Brady December 20, 2014

There are certain links that I click, either in programs or on the Internet that take me to Windows Explorer on my PC instead of the intended location.

For instance, using Optimizer Pro, if I click the link for “Register Now” it takes my to my file folder where Optimizer resides, rather than to the web page to register.

Can anyone help? I’m using Windows 8.1

Editor’s note: The submitter is not aware that they have a malware infection. PC Optimizer Pro is not legitimate software and the submitter of the question should consider malware removal methods instead. I suggest reading our malware removal guide The Complete Malware Removal Guide The Complete Malware Removal Guide This malware removal guide outlines not only how to remove malware from your computer but also how to clean up the mess that viruses and malware leave behind. Read More . But also consider other malware recovery steps 3 Things To Check After Removing Malware From Your PC 3 Things To Check After Removing Malware From Your PC Removing malware can be a pain. Malware removal guides ease the process, but it remains tedious. Finally, you will have to deal with after effects, like messed up browser settings or a broken Internet connection. Read More after removing the software. Finally, check out 10 things to do after discovering malware 3 Things To Check After Removing Malware From Your PC 3 Things To Check After Removing Malware From Your PC Removing malware can be a pain. Malware removal guides ease the process, but it remains tedious. Finally, you will have to deal with after effects, like messed up browser settings or a broken Internet connection. Read More on your computer.

1. DalSan M

From the guides I have seen on removing PC Optimizer Pro, the steps are rather simple; move the mouse cursor to the right side of the screen, click on the search icon, type in Control Panel, click on Control Panel. Under View By, click on Large Icons, and then scroll down to and click on Programs and Features. Scroll down to PC Optimizer Pro, click on it and uninstall the program. If that doesn't work, you can use ADWCleaner, IOBit Uninstaller, or other uninstaller to remove the program.

Definitely scan with Spybot or other anti-malware program (Malwarebytes Antimalware may not pick up PC Optimizer Pro since it isn't officially considered malware) just to make sure your computer is clean. If there are any issues that you find with normal functionality of you system, you can try using Tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All-in-One) to see if it will repair your system. More information about PC Optimizer Pro removal, check the Malware Tips blog found here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/pc-optimizer-pro-virus/.

try to fix host file
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034/

Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049

Make Firefox your default browser
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/make-firefox-your-default-browser

maybe the links are set to open on another browser like chrome? so if there is no chrome browser installed...

• Kannon Y

ha14's links are really useful for pretty much any scamware infection. A quick explanation as to what a host file does: It maps "hostnames" to IP addresses. If the host file is illicitly tampered with (and many malware does in fact tamper with the host file) you can be redirected from legit sites to illicit ones. It's a key step in identify theft.

I also believe he's correct about your particularly issue. If you are missing the associated browser, it may default to another application.

The culprit is, without doubt, malware. You must take quick action to remove the infection.

Hello Brady,

Unfortunately, PC Optimizer Pro is what we refer to in the tech biz as scamware. They somehow install their software on your computer (normally by tricking the user into installing it) and then offer to run "free" virus scans. These scans always find viruses, even if the operating system is freshly installed.

You must uninstall the software (find and remove all traces of it). Furthermore, I would also run trusted anti-malware software, like SpyBot: Search and Destroy (among many others) to remove all traces of the malware. Try some of the links in the description above. I'm sure some of our contributors will be along to provide additional support.