How do I remove passwords and credit card info from my PC?

Bob September 12, 2010

There was an article a while ago talking about software that removes any passwords, email addresses or credit card info that your PC may have cached if you made online purchases. Anyone have a link to that MakeUseOf page or know of any free software that does that?

1. Thebetafemale

There's also a program called Identity Finder that removes all personal information from your computer...files, emails, compressed documents, browser data, etc. It will locate SS numbers, CC numbers, phone numbers, emails, addresses, drivers license numbers, and many other things and then gives you the option to delete those files or keep them. We use it at my work, which is in a lab at a university, and it is required by the university that it is run once per month. So, it's probably pretty good software.

2. joe

remove all cookies, go to tools, option, privacy, remove all cookies

3. marshal

thanks for the tip

4. Nidesoft

Maybe you can find more you want to know from http://www.passwordreset.biz/

5. Centman

Thank you all for your valuable contributions. It helped me a lot.

6. Wes

I.E. 8 : go to Tools, then select Internet Options. Select the Content tab, then in the AutoComplete section, click Settings. De-select Forms and Usernames and Passwords. Click Delete AutoComplete history, then OK. You are done.

FireFox : go to Tools, then select Options. Select the Privacy tab, then de-select "Remember search and form history". Click Okay. To get rid of passwords, it's Tools, Options, then the Security tab. In the Passwords section, de-select "Remember passwords for sites". Click Saved Passwords, then click Remove All.

• Asimodulex

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the tip. It worked perfectly.

7. Bob

You stated exactly what I was thinking Eri. Thank you for the clarification.

Thank you Aibek and ha14. I will definately check those links out!

8. Eri

I think the above commenters might be not answering the question the asker has in mind.
    I think he's thinking of things that are in the memory buffer of the browser and doing things like forms autofill (which "helpfully" remembers your credit card number even though you don't ask it to), URL completion and remembering the password when you go to a login page.

We might be barking up the wrong tree when we talk about how to superscrub an area of the disk rather than what caches and preference files to delete in order to not be afraid to let someone else use your browser.

That's the question I will ask (I wish I had the answer) and I think that's the question Bob is asking.

• SteveĀ©

Well I have an answer.
      A little utility called cleanup (http://www.stevengould.org/index.php) that searches for and moves data of your choosing permanently off your pc and it's pretty good. even without being radical and burning all my personal data off, it saved me 200mb of space on my hard disk.