How can I remove the original Administrator on a second hand Windows Vista machine?

Sherry Campbell September 6, 2010

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. There is one previous owner. I have deleted their user account and made myself Administrator. That is the only user account I have now.

However, the default folders such as docs, downloads, music etc. all still pointed to the original user. So I copied all files into my new user folder and deleted the old one. I’m not sure what happened but it looked like all my folders and files disappeared. Could not even find them by searching.

So I did a restore. Now I have all my files back under the original user’s folder. Even though I am the Administrator nothing defaults to saving to my files. The only way is to Save As or move manually. Nothing saves to my user folder. It is getting confusing.

Can you help me?

1. Cammei

Users folder on the C drive:
    Administrator
    Default
    Marilyn
    Public
    Sherry
    TEMP

The only User Account in the control panel is Sherry/Administrator.

Got machine used, have no OS disk.

I thought I did what (ha14) suggested, unfortunately I just don't remember in what order I did what.

I would like to upgrade to Windows 7, but I wonder if an upgrade would keep things the way they are or if like (Josh Fox) suggested I should do a fresh install of Windows 7 after backing up my files. Then I could start from scratch.

Sorry for delay in getting back, thanks for your tips.

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

Were you manage to fix the issue using the suggestions above? Let us know.

Aibek

1.Log onto the machine as an Administrator
    2.Start User Manager (or User manager for Domains)
    3.Select the Administrator account and select Rename/delete from the User menu.
    4.Enter a new name and click OK

or
    1. Log onto the computer using an account with administrator privileges.

2. Click the Start Button.

3. Click the picture associated with your account at the top of the menu.

4. Select Manage another account.

5. When the UAC box pops up, click Continue.

6. Select the user account that is to be deleted.

7. Click Delete the Account.

8. You will be asked if you wish to keep the files from the deleted account. To save the account’s desktop and personal files to your desktop, click Keep Files. This will place the files into a directory with the account’s name onto your desktop. Otherwise click the Delete Files button.

9. Click Delete Account.

more
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766343(WS.10).aspx

4. Josh Fox

I think the simplest way to fix this would be to do a fresh install of Windows after backing up your files. This is advisable on any second hand computer anyway because it's hard to tell what personal data was left on it, if there is a virus or other type of malicious software, or a bunch of files or programs cluttering up the system.

Did you get a Windows installation disk with the computer, or can you get one?

Can you tell me what the folders under the Users folder of the C drive are? I have any idea, but I am curious...