How do I remove the Norton toolbar from Firefox?

KamilKozyra August 8, 2012

My Norton toolbar is “disabled” in add-ons by Firefox and I can’t see the uninstall button. Is there a way to uninstall it from deep within Firefox’s program files? Thank you.

1. KamilKozyra

Hi everybody, how are you? After considering all the advice, I got it to work the following way. Firefox was not the culprit but Norton. The toolbar file assigned to Firefox is coFFPlgn.dll (found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\xx.x.x.x). Even after numerous Norton Live Updates, that DLL file was still 2012.7.3.1 (the disabled toolbar version). So I copied the DLL file (which was 2012.7.4.1) off another PC running the exact same Norton, booted my PC in safe mode, and replaced the DLL file. In regular Windows, Firefox shows the newest Norton toolbar without any problems.

2. Roman Vávra

If the Uninstall button is disabled, try restarting Firefox in the Safe Mode or reinstall the browser.

3. Oron

I wouldn't reinstall the browser (but see info below) since it won't help. In any event, if the toolbar is disabled, then apart from the little disc space it takes up it is causing no harm. Check your Norton product and Symantec's (who make Norton products) tech support to see if it's possible to remove the toolbar from your AV suite.
    To reinstall firefox without losing your bookmarks, open the bookmark manager (menu=>Bookmarks) and click [Import and Backup]=>Backup... You'll be prompted to save a .json file which will contain a backup of your bookmarks and other settings. If you like, you can also choose "export bookmarks as HTML" which can act as a second backup.
    After you download and install a new copy, go into the same [Import and Backup] menu and choose Restore=>Choose file and find the .json file you had saved. Your bookmarks will now be restored.

• KamilKozyra

Thanks....would waiting until the next Firefox update help?

• Oron

No, my guess is that this is a feature of Norton, and while Firefox can disable it, any attempt to remove it via FF will result in Norton reinstalling it as part of a "repair". It's also possible that Symantec have marked the relevant files as system & read-only files to prevent the feature being removed by malicious software. This is why I suggested you seek a solution with Symantec Tech. Support.

4. KamilKozyra

Thanks for all the replies - how do I reinstall the browser without losing bookmarks?

5. achyut reddy

If i were you, id reinstall to browser.

6. Venkatesh cbit

Re-install the browser.

7. Burhan Ahmed

If a plugin is installed by an external program not downloaded using firefox. Then firefox cannot remove it directly. You either have to uninstall using Control Panel. or the uninstall utility of Norton itself

If the Uninstall button is disabled, try restarting Firefox in the Safe Mode. Sometimes Firefox locks this option for security reasons.

9. Âdil Farôôq

Well there will be option for uninstall in Control panel's add remove programs.

10. Christopher Harlan

Have you checked Uninstall Programs option under control panel? And why use Norton... :/

11. Rezy143

I don't remember since I don't use firefox anymore, but these articles may be able to help you:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_toolbars
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6806270_remove-norton-toolbar-firefox.html