How can I remove a malware or virus from my Facebook account?

jemaima delapena January 17, 2012

I can’t send a message or post in my Facebook account. Every time I do it always says my account has limited access.

1. D.PREM KUMAR

my p.c is effected with some malware virus.. .n my F.B. has been blocked since couple of months... .so how do i repair it.. .suggest me any antivirus solution.. .to erase it.. .so that i can reopen ma fb account... .

If you still need help with this, I recommend posting a new question. As you see, questions posted within old comment threads don't receive a quick response. Questions posted to the Answers front page, however, typically receive a response within a few hours. Good luck!

2. rabi gul

i ddnt found ans. of how to remove malwarre from my facebook`s account

3. raj thakur

dowloaded software affect my faceook acc. showig me uauthorised, what is effective solutio

4. Siri Valli Naidu

my account always shows that "your account has limited access" so what i do now plz tell me the suggestion

5. kripa shrestha

i cannot open my facebook account. it shows that my account is getting infected of malware. please do the needful!

thank you!

• Susendeep Dutta
    • mika

My facebook is temporarily locked for 5 days now I even changed my password and email but still i cant log in,it say that my computer might be infected with a virus and then when i click"continue" they offer me to download "microsoft security essentials" which i cant do cause that program wouldnt work in my PC so i did the scan with my own antivrus program,i cleaned the cache i did everything possible i could do and nothing helped,I think that microsoft them selves do that to people,I am always very cautious when accept apps I never click on anything suspicious,and beside if it was virus why then i have access to other accounts???
      Somebody help me please cause i am desperate,i have no idea or clue what to do anymore,i would appreciate any help!Thank you in advance

6. Orlie_devera06

8. Ed

Facebook do this if they detected suspicious activity on your account that may be caused by a computer bot. It is not your Facebook account, rather it is most likely your computer that has a problem. I recommend SUPERAntiSpyware for this. Download the portable version, run it and then update before scanning. Hopefully it will remove the malicious program on your PC.

Here's the download link: http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

9. Goromp8

i get message your account temporarily locked by affected malware

10. Guest

Unless people have actually had this message they won't know exactly what you mean. It DOES say that your facebook account might have malware, and you need to run a virus scan. You need to run your own computer anti virus scans. Although you won't be able to post anything or email from that account for 24 hours. I know cos I have just had the same and I know I have not clicked on anything to give me malware as I don't click on anything :(.
    It seems its a new security feature when they think there is suspicious activity. Playing games obviously now counts as suspicious activity...

11. Lee

I would suggest scanning your computer for malware. It probably isn't actually on your Facebook account (unless it's a specific app that you allowed, but it doesn't sound likely since you can't send messages). Download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button) and run a quick scan. Make sure it cleans up anything it finds, and reboot your computer. Then try facebook again and see if it lets you. If it does, I'd still recommend using whatever anti-virus software you have installed to do some more scans just to make sure everything is cleaned up.

12. Puratn dulabhai

Notice from Facebook >For security reasons your account is temporarily locked
    Your computer appears to be infected with a malware.

• rabi gul

yes i do receive such notice

13. Zoehott29

I have try using a different browser and it did work. I have even tried several different computers and the malware notification only comes up when I

try to log in on my facebook account. Please help I have no clue what to do here.

14. Wgbautista

15. KayanTihsrah

one more thing Facebook can never have a malware. It may be your computer that may contain a virus..... If so then use Microsoft security essential if u r using windows....and scan ur computer for virus...also do what FIDELIS has commented here clear the cache and cookies in your browser and try using Internet Explorer it always shows the light when one looses hope on the browsers they are working on!!

• rabi gul

only my account give me signal to not to open my account........other accounts do not shows such notice

Hello, Have you tried cleaning Cache and Cookies in your browser?  Have you tried using a different browser to see if same thing happens?

• Purtn Dulabhai

yes, same results

Hello, what operating system are you running?  Have you been getting any redirects lately?  for starters try running windows malicious software removal tool:  

-- if possible login with administrator privileges
        -- click on start
        -- type mrt in search box (if running XP, click on run and type same command)
        -- click on mrt entry and right click
        -- select run as administrator
        -- click on next in box that opens
        -- select full scan
        -- let scan finish

In whatever browser you are using, check for search engines installed.  If there is a search engine you do not recognize, make sure to change to google, bing or another search engine you like.  Disable/remove any search engines you do not recognized or you haven't added. 

Also make sure to check in add-ons/extensions.  Delete any extension you haven't installed. 

Make sure to check your proxy settings.  If there is a proxy selected and you haven't set it that way, make sure to disable it by taking the checkmark off and select automatically detect settings

Also it would be a good idea to change password in your facebook account whenever possible.  It could be that your account has been sending spam without you knowing it.  Try to recover your account by using the security question.

http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=188199391227105

Also it is possible that some app you have installed have been sending spam and now you are paying for it.  As soon as you can, try checking the apps you have installed. 

Also you might want to try cleaning history, cookies, cache, etc, like you did before and then try to use your browser without any add-ons running. 

• gina

.. what is the best anti-virus to be used to prevent a malware?
          .. is malware is a virus from net?
          . or its just an apps?