How can I remove Internet Explorer 8 and / or downgrade to IE7?
Question by robert /

I’m running Windows XP with an install of Internet Explorer 8 that is messed up. I can’t uninstall it or install IE8 again. The IE icon is gone and I can’t get online with IE. I have to use Firefox to get online. I can’t take IE out because Firefox won’t work without IE. I would like to run Internet Explorer 7, but IE8 stops me from doing all this. Can you help?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Robert

thank you. yesterday I tried to install ie8 over what I have it didn’t work. the install stopped and put a troubleshooter on my desk top. so I tried that didn’t work either.
    so there is just no answer to this problem except to do a clean reinstall. I’m not willing to do that because that might not work either. so I want to thank you and everybody for your help. I will stay with firefox since it works. I’ll live with that.
    thank you,
    robert []

Hey Robert,

I am sure you will enjoy the Firefox. It’s a great browser.

Hey Robert,

Were you able to figure it out? Did you try the suggestions above?

• Robert

yes thank you i tried the suggestions and they didn’t work. but i am using firefox now since i deleted the ie8 update i had. since ie8 has been installed on this computer i have lost the internet explorer icon that use to let me get online. also lost use of system tools, try to access services.msc box comes up MMC will not run with an earlier version of internet explorer less then 5.5? i have ie8 [that i hate] this problem makes no sence . can you help?

Hi Robert,

Why don’t you update IE8, get it to the latest version BUT for browsing still use Firefox or Chrome. That’s what I (and I believe many other folks) usually do. You don’t really need to uninstall the Internet explorer from your system. You can keep it installed but just don’t use it.

In order for you to remove IE8 follow these steps:

— Click Start
    — Control Panel
    — Add or Remove Programs
    — Find Internet Explorer 8
    — click Remove
    — Restart your Computer.

Once you remove Internet Explorer 8, it should go back to the earlier version of Internet Explorer that was install in your system before installing IE8.

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8 manually, follow these steps:

— Click Start
    — Run
    — Cmd >> enter
    — Type the following command:
    — Enter
    — Restart computer

To check if it worked, do the following:

— Open IE
    — Click the Help tab on menu
    — Click About Internet Explorer
    — Your version of Internet Explorer should show

Firefox is a different browser than Internet Explorer. In order for Firefox to work, you do not need to have Internet Explorer installed.

• jhpot

Here are directions for this from Microsoft; did you try these?

Firefox should work just fine regardless of what you do to IE, just so you know, so feel confident to do what needs to be done.