How can I remove “is now friends with” posts from my wall on Facebook?
Question by Snoody /

Each time I add a new friend, and I just caught up and added a whole bunch, I get an “Added new friend” post put to my wall. I personally don’t see them anymore, but others see them. It’s as if my privacy is set to “Friends except Me” (which of course it isn’t set like that.

I want to stop it being posted at all, and if that’s not possible, I at least want to see it myself so I know when I’m spamming my friends.

I’ve already given up liking pages, joining groups, or commenting in pages/groups because I know it spams everyone and I can’t stop it.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Muhammed AHmed

hi guys
    i have a problem in facebook anybody helpme!
    Question is my friend any post on group, wall.etc but showing me? how to slove? tell me some things

• besu

Have the same problem but have not found a solution yet. Anybody can give any advice?

• anne

hii..:) recently i added frds ,tat activity is visible only in my wall but wen my frds open my wall that activity is not visible..pls solve my issue. i want that recent activity to be visible to my frds also..pls tel me how to slove it

• Yaara

It sounds to me as if you’ve chosen to hide your “friending activity”, as Facebook calls it. I think this only hides it from your wall, like you said, and not from the newsfeed (which doesn’t make much sense, really).

As far as I know there’s no other way to remove the friending activity, but if you want it back try scrolling down in your profile page and finding the “Edit Options” link at the bottom. Here you should be able to see all the activities you’ve hidden and show them again.

After you can see them maybe you can just delete them manually one by one.

Hope this helps!

• Snoody

Thanks Yaara, but unfortunately I don’t have an Edit Options button on my wall. I have one on my news feed, so I know where to look. On my own wall though, it’s not there. That’s where I’d hope to be able to turn off the hiding of friending activity, but without an edit options I’m a bit stuck. I just looked at my girlfriend’s wall (logged in as her) and she also doesn’t have an edit options on her own wall.

• Yaara

Maybe you’re looking at the “info” page of the profile and that’s why you can’t see it? If you go to your actual “wall” and scroll all the way down, do you still not have an Edit Options link?

• Snoody

I found out why it wasn’t there. You only get an Edit Options link if you also get a “more posts” link at the same time. If you’ve deleted posts so that you don’t have enough to fill up your wall and need a more posts link, then you won’t see an edit options link either.

A bug without doubt, but not one that will trouble too many people. Once you’ve got enough posts on your wall, you’ll see it. I got it to appear by adding about 30 test posts (visible only to me) and eventually I got my more posts + edit options.

Then I could unhide everything and try and have another go at re-hiding them to see if they’re truly work properly – i.e. to hide the posts from EVERYONE, not just from my wall only. No luck though, they still spam everyone’s feed.

It seems that hiding-all-posts-of-this-type on your wall has no effect at all on those  posts visibility to your friends. This is the only reason I’d want to hide them – to avoid spamming people.

thanks for the update!

• Yaara

Wow, that is a weird bug. I never deleted enough posts to have that happen. Kudos for solving it!

Regarding your friending activity, maybe what Saikat wrote earlier is true – you can’t hide it from your friends because it’s “their right to know” (especially if they open their stuff to friends of friends).

At least you can see the posts to delete them now!

• Snoody

That’s the part I don’t get. If I’ve got a friend, let’s call them A, and I add a new friend B who is not a friend of A’s, then I’m not changing my relationship to A in any way. I can see some potential value in informing A that I’ve found and added B, because A might also know B. It should be my choice whether I announce my new additions though.

Facebook really annoys me with their news feed and wall strategy. It would be so much easier for them and would bring joy to a large number of their users if they just allowed full control over everything. Every single thing that gets posted to your own wall whether intentionally or unintentionally, should have a little drop-down menu offering control over who sees it, including the option of “Only Me” or “nobody”. Same applies when viewing your feed – whether it’s check-ins, page or group posts, notes, photos. Each should have their own drop-down menu and allow you to block by category or by user.

It must be harder for them to have different behaviour for the different items.

Google+ could really eat into Facebook’s membership if they play it smartly and find out what people hate most about Facebook and do the opposite, and add the things they like about it.

• Yaara

Many people set their privacy setting to “friends of friends”. Meaning that in your example, when you add B as a friend, B will now have more access to A’s profile than before. So their relationship does change.

Other than that, I feel your pain. :) I would like to have more control over Facebook privacy as well. But hey, we can always get up and close our accounts!

• Snoody

You are of course completely correct, something I totally overlooked – the FoF relationship/expansion.

I tried closing my account. Too much pressure to “stop being miserable and get back on it” :-)

With Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and Yammer (closed SN for work), social networking is becoming over-done. At least we can be happy MySpace died off (almost completely). I don’t see it coming back just because Mr Sexy is on board now.

• Jeffery Fabish

The only way I know of doing this is to go onto your wall and scroll over the particular instance of “is now friends with” and click the “X”. You can chose to remove that post or to prevent further posts (I think). 

• Snoody

That’s not possible though Jeffery, as on my own wall, I don’t see those “is now friends with” posts at all. Neither do other people when they look at my profile->wall.

The only place these posts appear, is on other people’s news feed. It’s as if the visibility of them is set to “everyone except me” (which of course it isn’t).

I guess now that I’ve caught up on a big batch of friending, it will settle down to a leisurely one or two new friends a week, and therefore less spammy.

• Saikat Basu

It will appear on other people’s news feed because their relationship with you is getting updated. You can’t control that from your account. At least that’s the thought which strikes me.