How can I remove DRM from eBooks?

Alex July 12, 2010

I am trying to remove DRM from my eBooks and read the article “How To Remove DRM from MOBI and PRC eBooks How To Remove DRM from MOBI and PRC eBooks How To Remove DRM from MOBI and PRC eBooks Read More ” by Simon Slangen.

In the article it tells you to open the command screen to start removing the encryption, but I’m having problems with finding the correct file path to use. The file path I am trying to use is C:\Users\Alex\Documents\My eBooks, but this doesn’t seem to be working, it keeps telling me the system cannot find the path specified. I also have pretty much no experience with using the command screen so I have no prior knowledge.

Thanks!

Alex,

Didi you manage to figure it out? Please let us know.

2. Artur Wrona

Hi,

infile.mobi is your ebook filename and outfile.mobi will be result filename.

3. Simon Slangen

Hi Alex,1. - Are you sure you're using the right commands? In your case, those would be "cd C:UsersAlexDocumentsMy eBooks" (without the quotes).2. - You could try encapsulating the path in single quotes, i.e. 'C:UsersAlexDocumentsMy eBooks'3. - Or you could simply change the path itself. If I were you, I'd put the 'My eBooks' folder in your C: directory, and change the name to a singular word like 'ebooks'. That'd give you an incredibly simple path - C:ebooksDoes that solve your issues with the directory change? Let me know.

EDIT: if all else fails, you can always put those eBooks in the 'current' folder of the CMD, thereby allowing you to skip the step...

• Duron1ar

Hi,
      I moved the path to my C: directory and changed it to ebooks and that worked but now I'm having another problem. The next step in your directions says "Type python mobidedrm005.py infile.mobi outfile.mobi PID and hit enter. Substitute “infile.mobi”, “outfile.mobi” and “PID” with the appropriate filenames, file extensions and the PID respectively. In my case, that’ll make for python mobidedrm005.py ebook.prc outfile.prc 1234567$ab" I'm not completely sure what I am supposed to be substituting in for infile.mobi and outfile.mobi
      Thanks.