How can I remove CyberDefender from my computer?
Question by mike lanahan /

How to get rid of CyberDefender from a computer completely?

• Kathypfingston

Why don’t we all complain to our attorney generals in our area… and perhaps this will rid this cockaroach pest once and for all??

• Honeyroyale

Remove Cyber Defender by going into Safe Mode.
    Cyber Defender programs run some kinda driver which will not let you Uninstall them.
    In Safe Mode you can remove the program. I was on the phone with Cyber Defender and kept getting shifted to 4 different employees finally they wanted to do a remote control of my computer. NO WAY! Not when they set up their programs to give you so much trouble when you try to remove without buying! Can’t trust them…

• Larryjones_344

I don’t blame you for wanting to uninstall this software.  It is worthless and does not completely protect consumers.  You call for help and they offer to check out your computer only to tell you that you need to pay for tech support because their product was incable of fixing the problem.  I read up on this company to quickly realized it was a waist of my money.  I warn you to not get caught up with this crapy software.

If this is the CyberDefender firewall/antivirus package, the malware scanners won’t detect or get rid of it.  This is a legitimate security suite from CyberDefender Corp in Los Angeles, CA.  It does have its own uninstaller which works as well as any other uninstaller.  You can uninstall it through the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs applet or the entry that was placed in the Start Menu when it was originally installed.

Hello, the options given above are the best ones to try.  If you are looking for other options, I can give you two more. 

The first one would be to try and close the program first.  This option does not work all the time, especially with software like the one you are asking about.  If the program added an icon on your taskbar try to right click the icon and select exit or close.  If a box pops up asking you if you want to close the program select yes.  If the program closes successfully you could try uninstalling it with Revo Uninstaller:
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

The second option is the most likely to work.  Visit the following link and download the tool called RKill.  Try to download the iExplore version of the file and select your desktop as your destination to save the file.  The reason the iExplore version is the best option is because it fools the malware installed into thinking that it is a link for internet explorer and malware does not block explorer because it needs it to work.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill

Once tools is saved on your desktop double click on it to run it.  If it does not work the first time, keep trying until you see a box popping up.  Once program runs successfully, it will disable the entries for CyberDefender and you will be able to run the tools provided by Tina on the previous link.  Run the portable version of Syperantispyware found here:  http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html?tag=SAS_HOMEPAGE  You do not have to update this version if you do not want to because it already includes the most recent signatures.  Run a full scan and once the scan is complete delete all the entries found.  Then, install malwarebytes and update it before running a complete scan.  Delete all the entries found there too. 

When both complete scan are run and your system is found to be clean you can restart your computer in normal mode.  Your system should be free of Cyberdefender, if it is not you might want to run full scans on safemode and once cleaned, restart computer in normal  mode and make sure to turn system restore off.  Turn system restore on and make sure to create a restore point.  To double check run full scans on normal mode with the software mentioned above and then make sure to get an antivirus and run a full scan also.  Good luck.

Mike,

what is your operating system?

Try the following programs to remove CyberDefender:
    Superantispyware (free edition)
    RogueRemover (Windows XP)
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

• Mike Lanahan

thank you I will have to tell them to try these. I went over to a friends house to help him with a few issues on his computer, and what pop up his biggest headache that they seem to be having after checking on the internet for way to remove this. I found that 100’s of people have the same issue. I did the basic stuff and then found that so did every one else with no way of removing this program. so lets see what happens after these have had a chance to do it thank you