How do I remove Cyanogen Mod 7 and install Android 4.0 on my HP TouchPad?

Felix Comulada October 10, 2012

I plan on installing ICS on my HP TouchPad but I am currently using the Cyanogen Mod 7, which works fine. I would like to know if I need to restore my TouchPad to factory settings and also do I need to remove all the files on my PC that were used to install the initial CM7.

There is a ciminstall folder which is empty apart from several other folders that belonged to CM7 which are there. Is there a removal process for the CM7?

1. Jeremiah Iliffe

Search the XDA forums for CyanogenMod 10 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1811480 (which is actually now on JellyBean)

OK, some other things:

1. PC Files: You shouldn't have to change any files on your PC, although you will probably want to remove files that you never plan on using again. The reason: these files have confusing file names and you never want to accidentally confuse one for another when flashing something.

2. TouchPad to Factory: It's always a good idea to do a factory reset before you flash a new ROM. It's not always necessary, but it is highly useful. Also remember to wipe cache and Dalvik cache. And do all of these from within CWM (ClockWorkMod) recovery.

3. CIMINSTALL: You should verify this elsewhere, but CIMINSTALL is not a native folder within the system directory in the Android operating system. I believe it's just an abbreviated folder name used to hold files that you manually flash using CWM. Which means you could name it anything you wanted.

4. VERY IMPORTANT STUFF: YOU MUST MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP USING CWM. It's so easy, there's no reason not to - just go to backup/restore. Any of the options work, although I prefer using the create image backup feature.

I forgot to mention something else that's pretty important - as a rule of thumb, you shouldn't use the factory reset feature from within the operating system, because of the potential for a hard brick. Be very, very careful about this step.

CM9 is Android 4.0 based, with a large number of UI tweaks added that are native to the CyanogenMod project.

CM10 is also available for the TouchPad, which is Android 4.1 (JellyBean) based. JellyBean and ICS are virtually the same operating system - they use the same drivers. However, JB has introduced a number of UI and speed refinements, as well as Google Now.

You can find the unofficial project here, at XDA. CM9 is probably the best bet right now, in terms of overall functionality, but because CM10 has the same drivers as CM9, it shouldn't be long until there are stable builds of CM10 all over the place.

4. Mihovil Pletikos

check xda forum :)

5. Harish Jonnalagadda

Why not just get the new Cyanogenmod 9? It has so many new features.