Can I remove the battery from my broken laptop without risking the hard drive?

Daniel Herring January 19, 2012

I have an older model Toshiba Satellite. The left mouse button has been loose for a while now, but yesterday it sunk deeper down into the laptop and that’s when it shutdown.

I tried powering it back up but nothing happens. No lights no sounds nothing. I take my time and pull the mouse button back into position thinking that would fix it but no, the laptop will still not power on.

All around the net I’ve seen a method of taking the battery out and unplugging the power cord then holding power before inserting the battery again.

I want to try this to see if I can get power long enough to backup my files.

I’m concerned though that when I remove the battery it might affect the hard drive

Can I take out the battery and try the fix without risking my hard drive ?

removing the battery should not affect the hard drive unless the hard drive is already damaged or formatted.

hold the FN (or another F button depending on laptop) key and then  up arrow brightens the screen and the down arror dims it

Hello, as long as the laptop is turn off, there should not be a problem with you removing the battery.  Is this what you have seen online?

-- turn laptop off
    -- unplug cable from laptop
    -- remove battery
    -- press power button off (dries energy and resets system)
    -- insert battery
    -- plug power cord back on

This helps when trying to reset your computer and it also helps when you are trying to restore battery a little bit.  I do not think, it would help you with touchpad buttons though.  What you could try is taking laptop apart and resetting the actual touchpad button.  From what you are saying, it is only stuck.  You would have to take front cover of laptop to reset it.  If you are not comfortable doing it, take it to a repair shop.  Mostly this keys have some sort of plastic springs.  When time passes this springs loose their springness and they get stuck.  It is not that hard to try to fix.  If you give me the model, I could probably find disassembly instructions for it.