How can I remove the Babylon virus from my browser?

Desi January 10, 2012

Babylon (a good virus) move in my Windows 7. It’s not downloading on PC. Sits in my search block in the top right corner. When I go to Tools, Internet, General, I type in www.google. Lower it says Google and Babylon and I can’t move or delete it.

1. weclh6980

Firefox Help

Desktop
    Mobile

Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems

Over time Firefox can develop problems like slowness, crashing, unwanted toolbars and more. Troubleshooting and fixing these issues can be difficult and time consuming. The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information.
    Table of Contents

What does the reset feature do?
    How do I reset Firefox to its default state?

What does the reset feature do?

All of your Firefox settings and personal information is stored in your profile folder. The reset feature works by creating a new profile folder for you while saving your:

Bookmarks
    Browsing history
    Passwords
    Cookies
    Web form auto-fill information

Warning: When using the reset feature, the following items are either NOT SAVED or set to their defaults.

Extensions and themes: Although they can be incredibly helpful, some extensions and themes can cause problems. If you need to reinstall important extensions, see Find and install add-ons to add features to Firefox for help.
    Open tabs, windows and tab groups: The reset process will close all open websites. Since your bookmarks and browsing history are saved you should still be able to easily return to your favorite sites. See Where can I find my bookmarks? and Search your bookmarks, history and tabs with the Awesome Bar for more info. Also, since your cookies are saved, you shouldn't be logged out of any websites you were logged into before the reset.
    Site-specific preferences, search engines, personal dictionary, download history, DOM storage, security certificate settings, security device settings, download actions, plugin MIME types, toolbar customizations and user styles are also not saved. See the Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data article for more information about these.

At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu
    (on Windows XP, click the Help menu at the top of the Firefox window) and select Troubleshooting Information.

Troubleshooting info - win

Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.

Reset Firefox - Win - 1

To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
    Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open. That's it – you're done!

Share this article: You can use the link http://mzl.la/MnSTZB to easily share this article with others. It will display instructions automatically customized for their operating system and language.

Contributors to this page: Verdi, scoobidiver, Swarnava, Matt_G of Firefox

2. thomas poole

why dont i have google chrome anymore? all of a sudden i have bebylon and i dont want this

3. becky

I wish someone would file a lawsuit against bablylon. I agree that this is a virus. It has slowed down my computer.

4. Don Conley

How can I remove Babylon search from my computer. I just got the computer yesterday, New, and Babylon is already on it. and I dont even know how to use the computer yet. . . . .

5. trevia wade

i would like my avg secure search back but babylon is there i have uninstalled and even deleted it from my extensions i have done everything that can be done and it wont go away how can i get rid of it for good do not want as my search bar helppppppppppp please make it go away pleaseeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jean

After doing everything everyone suggested on 10 different websites (all the above included) I still had the babylon page open along with the google (chrome) page.

Finally, I went to the little tool icon on the upper right side of the page, clicked on settings, appearance, new tab page (change), clicked on the word "change" and changed "open this page" to "New Tab page"! Voila! It's gone!!!!!!!!

7. sabeer

HURREY!!!!!!!!!!!

Please follow this below link to remove Babylon from IE.

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/375045b6-d59c-44a4-a3c1-87b8fa472f83

8. Marlene

Deleting Babylon is not that complicated... Read this to delete it completely. I had the same problem, and figured it out...

http://marlenebotha.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Completely-Remove-Babylon-From-Your-Computer

Copy and paste the address into your browser.

9. Babylon support

Hello from babylon support team!
    Babylon is not a virus and it's very easy to remove the babylon search page and toolbar.
    For a video that will show you how to easily remove the Babylon search homepage, please enter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1y9Lbsv1_0&feature=plcp.
    We would be glad to help you with any issue that you encountered. Please contact us at help@babylon.com and we'll get it sorted out

• Shadow

Yes, your program is a virus / malware. I was not asked if I wanted to install your program, it slows my PC down, resets itself every time i try to change it, has infected most of my registry, and is placed in locations that you normally would not have such things with names unrelated to you search engine as well as being list as a virus by Norton and several other anti virus programs I am looking into what legal action can be taken against you.

10. Renee Amormino

If You fell for downloading Babylon as I did, here's what I had to do.. I am using Windows 7. First I went in to the control panel and removed the proggram from my computer. Then after restart, I still had the problem of Babylon changing my home page and search engine back to there program and web address. So I did a system restore, reboot and the problem was fixed. Just be sure to check that the date you restore to doesn;t have any critical updates that you will ned to reinstall.

11. Rebecca

I have the babylon virus and cant seem to get rid of it. Any advice?

12. kiara

first go to the menu bar and click on tools ....go to Add-ons and see to your left ....click on the extensions....and over there on the right u will find the babylon thing....just remove it.......this will remove the babylon toolbar forever .......if u hav alresy uninstalled the babylon from control panel...

• Scampicat

Hi Kiara
      At last some info which I could actually understand and implement! Many thanks indeed.

13. muralidar

Please let me know how to remove Babylon virus from my computer. Please provide the answer.

14. sideshow

with google crome i went to preferences -> settings -> under startup there is "Open a specific page or set of pages. Set pages" click set pages ->from there, remove babylon. also make sure you uninstall it as a program first

15. mark

Could Babylon effect the speed of my computer, I have deleted with all steps from above and my computer is now running at massively reduced speed. I have run all the checks and anti virus software I can think of, I have run from safe mode and done everything I can think of from that menu. It's a brand new hp laptop running windows 7.

Mark,

If you did not manage to fully remove Babylon, it could still affect your computer. Is your computer also slow in Safe Mode? If yes, it's a bigger problem. If no, it could be caused by software running in the background that doesn't launch in Safe Mode. Try to disable anything in auto start.

If the computer is new and you have not put a lot of work into customizing it, yet, then I would recommend to back up your data and re-install the operating system. It's easier than to track down what is causing this issue.

16. Nick

Download the babylon removel client.

17. not2savvybutstubborn

i deleted all of the babylon stuff i could find and then some and having some time to spare, i searched all over my computer for all the bizarre looking programs and folders and doing follow up searches in the net, i deleted what i thought was the root folders of this nasty thing. needless to say it embeds itself and hides in a fake google folder plus some other ones with some real nasty programming and spyware crap. you have to search your system i found it under = local disk- google-googletoolbar notifier-5.7.7018.1622-(with these subfolders that i had to highlight and erase in order to delete them due to the real nasty programming written in them it wouldn't let me delete them otherwise.) gtn.dll , swg.dll and everything that follows it....hope this helps some one else and hopefully somebody can spam those bastards from the stupid site that alleges to do translation. mother f**kers.

18. Richard Lane

i don't want babylon non ny computer, how can I( get rid of that SIN ?

• Oron

Read the instructions aboe. The Babylon search page starts with
      http://feed.helperbar.com/?
      so remove any mention of that whereever you find it.

19. Earle Cardinal

What advice? I don't see anything here that tells me how to get rid of this obnoxious thing.

Earle,

There is quite a bit of advice in the comments. Did you read these?

20. Desi

Thanks for your advice for babylon, it worked.Iam so glad for people like you, you do good,Thanks again out of dark africa.Desi

21. Krbyjsn

its like AIDS, your stuck with it and it pisses you off. ive gone through control panel, remove programs, tools> remove search engine..... y is it still there? everyone i know HATES babylon. i didnt even download the dam thing i was trying to get some bluetooth for my computer..........

Reset Internet Explorer's Toolbar Menu 
    http://toolbar.google.com/fixmenu

Sysinternal Autorun
    http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip
    Select Internet Explorer Tab. You can then deselect any undesired toolbar:

23. Jay.0

system restore : Restore to an old restore point, which was created before the virus entered your pc.

Alot of viruses infect system restore, but if it hasn't this is the quickest fix.

• Jay.0

Actually I think that, we sometime name many of our problems as virus.

This one is about babylon, and I am not sure whether it is really a virus, it installed toolbar etc when you install software like super video converter.
        and makes changes to browsers and browsing of pc, including search engine and the home page.

Now if you do not want to undo the changes one by one,
        I think system restore fix them all because it will restore registry changes, and uninstall software that are installed after the restore point was created.

I understand that, and Babylon is not a virus, annoying as it may be. I have noticed machines that have Babylon search also have a fair amount of Malware, but that may just be me and my luck of the draw. 

I generally I don't recommend system restores, mainly because viruses like to take them over. Also because it is so easy to repair newer Windows, but XP was always a pain with repair. 

I didn't mean to call you out, and wasn't trying to. 

• Jay.0

I know! I never think that replying to comments is calling out, it is sharing what you know :)

• 1c3x

just uninstall all browsers and reinstall leaving 1 for download tho the un that 1 so easy reres

• Paul

Thanks for the info. I was one step away from a clean install, but system restore *seems to* have done the trick. I had even downloaded malwarebytes antimalware and run a full scan, nothing detected. Apparently this thing is not malicious enough to be picked up by antispyware programs? I've not heard of one working, yet.

Hello, have you tried checking if there is a babylon entry in add/remove? If there is, I would download revo uninstaller free version and uninstall it with it.  Alternatively, you could try uninstalling program that installed babylon in your system.  What was the last program you installed, before babylon was there?  Uninstall with above software mentioned:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Once downloaded, install program.  Find and highlight babylon entry and click on uninstall.  Make sure to use the scan option that shows automatically and delete all entries for babylon that show there.  If it asks you to restart, restart.

Can you specified what browser you are using?  I'll give you some steps you can take to try and get rid of it.  I'll base my instructions on IE9.  First try to get rid of babylon in search engines by doing the following:

-- click on tools, internet options, general.
    -- once there and under browsing history make sure to delete history, cache, cookies, etc.
    -- click on Programs tab
    -- under Manage add-ons heading, click on Manage Add-ons
    -- click on Toolbars and Extensions
    -- find any entry for babylon there and click on it
    -- click on disable at bottom of screen
    -- click on search providers
    -- find any entry for babylon and click on it
    -- click on remove and then close
    -- click on connections tab
    -- click on LAN settings
    -- if there is a proxy enabled, make sure to disable
    -- check mark Automatically detect settings and click on ok and ok
    -- restart browser

Is babylon still showing?  If it is, I would continue with a complete scan with malwarebytes, superantispyware and your antivirus of choice:

Malwarebytes:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Superantispyware:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html?tag=SAS_HOMEPAGE

If you have an Antivirus installed, make sure it is up to date and run a complete scan.  Make sure if above programs find anything, to delete entries found.  Once system reports clean with all the scans, you can get rid of system restore entries. 

Also, if you are using IE, you have the option of resetting browser. This would get rid of any toolbars/add on in your browser and set your browser to default condition:

-- click on tools
    -- internet options
    -- click on advanced tab
    -- click on Reset
    -- click on apply and then ok

If you are using a different browser, just let us know so that we can provide specific answers to that browser.

• Patti

I cannot get rid of babylon. I do recall it coming on when I added a program and I have no idea what that was. I have done revo installer, have deleted it in the toolbars, yet everytime I start up the computer it is there.
      I use Firefox 14.0 Thanks.

Well, You may have more then the Babylon Virus, I would thoroughly scan your whole computer. 

I have two options for ya, removing just Babylon or Scanning your whole computer. I would recommend the second option.  

Option One

If you just want to remove just the Babylon virus, here are some links for you: 

Chrome:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T3CXefswgE

IE:           http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100517115230AAomWzT

Firefox:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFv4gPHiwW4 

Option Two

These are the steps I would recommend running:

1 Restart computer and press F8 before the Windows Screen and select safemode with networking, (Can be skipped, but the scan will be less effective)

2 Install run CCleaner, to remove temporary files
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner 

3 Run Install and run SuperAntiSpyware Portable
    http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html 

4 Restart, use F8 and boot back into safemode with networking

5. Run CCleaner Again

6. Install and Run Free Malwarebytes AntiMalware (Once install they will be ask if you want a free trail, just decline)
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free 

This will remove almost any sort of Malware that land onto your computer.