How do I remove the Babylon search engine from my browser?

sushil November 8, 2011

How can I remove the Babylon search engine from Mozilla and Chrome? Whenever I open a new tab, it shows up.

1. str8arrow

TO REMOVE BABYLON SEARCH ENGINE FROM FIREFOX - NONE OF THE ABOVE METHODS WORKED FOR ME, INCLUDING THE ABOUT:CONFIG AND KEYWORD.URL SOLUTIONS.

THIS IS WHAT DID WORK:
    1. GO TO C:/USER/APPDATA/ROAMING/MOZILLA/FIREFOX/PROFILES/

*CLICK ON THIS PROFILE FOLDER (IT IS YOURS), AND IT IS NAMED WITH THE GOBBLEDYGOOK FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION. SHAME IT DIDN'T PROTECT US FROM THE BABYLON VIRUS.

2. INSIDE THIS FOLDER YOU WILL SEE A FILE NAMED prefs.js - RIGHT CLICK ON IT, THEN SELECT OPEN WITH, THEN SELECT NOTEPAD (THIS WILL BE UNDER C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/NOTEPAD.EXE.)

3. THIS WILL OPEN UP THE FILE IN TEXT EDITOR. MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ALL OF THE FIREFOX WINDOWS CLOSED OR THIS STEP WON'T WORK!! THE PROGRAM JUST OVERWRITES YOUR CHANGES WITH THE EXISTING STUFF WHEN IT DOES FINALLY CLOSE DOWN, SO CLOSE IT NOW!)

4. NOW, GO TO THE TOP AND HIT EDIT-->FIND . ENTER 'BABYLON' AS THE SEARCH TERM.
    - WHEREVER YOU SEE BABYLON, ENTER 'GOOGLE' INSTEAD.
    - WHEREVER YOU SEE http://WWW.BABYLON.COM. JUST DELETE IT AND INSERT http://WWW.GOOGLE.COM (OR http://WWW.GOOGLE.CA).
    - IF YOU SEE http://WWW.BABYLON.COM/FAVICON.ICO THEN JUST ENTER http://WWW.GOOGLE.COM/FAVICON.ICO.

5. HIT ALT-->EDIT-->FIND NEXT AND IT WILL GO TO THE NEXT BABYLON ENTRY. ONCE AGAIN, REPLACE AS NOTED ABOVE.

6. REPEAT STEP 5 UNTIL IT SAYS 'NO SEARCH TERM FOUND' (OR NO BABYLON FOUND, OR WHATEVER...)...THIS MEANS YOU HAVE REPLACED ALL THE BABYLON ENTRIES SUCCESSFULLY.

7. JUST CHECK TO BE SURE - GO TO THE TOP OF THE PAGE, AND ENTER ALT-->EDIT-->FIND (ENTER BABYLON) AND CLICK FIND. IT SHOULD NOT FIND ANY ENTRIES IF YOU'VE DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY.

8. CLICK ALT-->FILE-->SAVE AS AND SAVE AS 'prefs.js' - IT WILL ASK IF YOU WANT TO REPLACE THE EXISTING FILE, SO CLICK YES.

9. CLOSE THE FILE.

10. REOPEN FIREFOX.

11. BABYLON SHOULD BE GONE AND YOU SHOULD HAVE GOOGLE LISTED AS YOUR SEARCH ENGINE. CONGRATS. INFECTION TREATED.

2. Leon Harley Dabon Franco

uh..... how do u do it

3. kt

I managed to get rid of Babylon from Chrome by going to the wrench on the right side, then into settings. Then I went to "On startup". I clicked on the "Open new tab page" and went out of the browser. Then I went back into the Chrome and got only a new page. Too cool! I then went to the wrench, and settings, and in the "On Startup", I clicked on "Open a specific page or set of pages. Set pages"., and on the "Set Pages". I made sure that my google home page was the page shown, and clicked OK. When I went out, and back in again, I got my single page, and it was Google.

• Dertien

Yes Babylon is a real PITA

-1: Uninstall Babylon search in windows uninstall/install program
      -2; Check your browser settings in chrome/mozilla/ie to delete them in the addons/plugins section of your browser itself if it is still there
      -3 get rid of the registry entries of babylon with spybot search and destroy, its donationware, which means its free
      download program here; http://www.safer-networking.org/nl/download/index.html
      install spybot; let it update the virus definitions and let it scan your pc

If babylon and other problems are found after the scan click the button in the middle on top which says 'fix selected problems' and let spybot do its work while rebooting your pc.

4 Problem solved

4. Siddharta

Press Alt+F. Then go to Settings>
    Then go to "search" and change default browser to google.
    Close the browser and open again.

5. Kevin Nodland

go to Settings, and I did what everyone said .....go to manage search engines and deleted the ones I didnt want. But I also went to Settings, then " Open a specific page or set of pages" Set pages (blue type)........ this is where I was able to delete the two that I did not want, by clicking the grey X at the end of the line (you must mouse over the line of type, to find the X). I also went to control panel and uninstalled it from there. Then I restarted computer right away. Good Luck.

6. Hareesh

Go to Chrome settings; Click on the hyperlink 'Set Pages' that you can find under 'On start up'. There you would see the babylon search link; Click on the X to remove it from the start up page.

Thank You

7. ganesh

just go to wrench tool google chrome .select setting---->go to search and select manage search engines button-->delete babylon site then after ok button.problam solve.

8. Lydia

If you've been HIJACKED by Babylon...simply CHANGE your Search Engine, and Homepage. If you like your present ...just comeback to them in a few days... IT WORKS!!!!

9. Oron
  10. Terry

I feel like the rest of the world took a turn that apparently I was supposed to make, but I don't understand why. I do know that the only thing that is constant is change. So maybe I am supposed to make the same turn that the rest of world made. As happens so frequently when the world changes there are those like myself who want to know why I should make this change. I reserve the right to choose for myself and I really don't like others deciding that I have to go along with the change. So I feel myself caught up in something I don't understand. I have also noticed that I seem to be unable to watch video's on Firefox. Once again, I seem to be off the main road, without any knowledge of how I did so and what I can do so that I can go youtube.com and watch a video. I don't always read instructions, but since the world has changed so drastically, then I am beginning to get the idea that for now I had best read the instructions so I know what is going on. My perception is that the world is moving much too fast for my comfort. I already feel as though I have more than enough to cope with. Maybe this is a time for mega leap in whatever direction that world has taken if I want to catch up. Hopefully with God's help I can figure out what is going on. My perception is that I am dragged into something that I don't understand and that I have no choice but to conform. That goes against my beliefs--I believe I always have a choice. I have no cell phone and no intention of getting one. Why in the world would I want to be distracted from what I am doing? Fortunately at bridge all cell phones are to be turned off. I hope this isn't too long to be posted, because I can't help but feel that there are others like myself who aren't ready to pulled, kicking and screaming, into only God knows what. The fact that others are asking how to remove the Babylon search engine tells me that I am not alone, of course I know God is always with me. So, Lord, what am I to do? Obviously I need to know what is going on in order to make an informed choice. I know that as I ask, I will receive. Amen. (So be it.)

11. piyush

i am a hacker and programer and i founded a way to this.

Go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins

Each search engine has two files; a .src and either a .png or a .gif file. All you have to do is delete the two files for the search engine you wish to remove (for example google.src and google.gif) and restart Firefox.

12. mark s

babylon search engine sucks worse then bing didnt think that was possible

• piyush

• piyush

Go to Applications\Firefox

2. Right click and select "Show Package Contents"

3. Go to Mac OS\searchplugins

4. Delete the .src file and the .gif/.png file for the engine you want to remove

13. vassil
  14. Mm

Listen here to kill babylon search bar in firefox go to tools go to options an were is says home page press restore to default easy as 1 2 3

15. vic

IN CHROME GO wrench->settings->(On startup)->(Open a specific page or set of pages.)->OPEN Set pages(is in blue letters)->Google and babylon should be there ->delete babylon and that should work.

16. rajkumar

hi
    I went in the control panel and unistalled babylon. now its not listed in the program list but whenever I open forefox babylon search opens. i dont see any tool bar . Can anyone help please>>

• Oron

See my comment above, there's a section there for Firefox.

17. Blunty

Ajay thanks for your help bro i tried everything i knew but your idea did the trick, hate that babylon $hit how did it get into my computer in the first place? prolly some small print i skipped in some program i installed recently is my guess

18. Mira Duran

• Susendeep Dutta

Uninstall any crapware using PC decrapifier -

http://pcdecrapifier.com/download

and remove any crap programs that you don't use.

In next,remove any extension that got installed without your permission.

• jitendra varshney

just go mozilla firefox ' tools < options<general , homepage see Babylon is there if it is , then just delete it & write http://www.google.com &click ok it really works

19. Dianna

Open tools, go to internet options, halfway down on general tab, there is a search, change search defaults-click on settings, click on the search providers-you will see something that refers to a search-but next to it you will see in parentheses babylon-click on it and below you will see a remove option. I finally figured this out because it was continuously popping up on my system

20. Tia

I did it by clicking on this little house on the google toolbar then clicking delete

21. Scott

Guys, the easiest way I found to get rid of The totally crap Babylon search engine, was to go to manage search engines, and change default from babylon to IE, then delete/remove babylon from their.

I then went to start, regedit, and searched for babylon. I deleted babylon when found, came up twice for me.

I then completely uninstalled google chrome. restarted my computer, ran crapcleaner (from filehippo), you should have seen the crap that was related to babylon. I then reinstalled chrome. NO BABYLON. It is up to you to backup your favourites though.

22. gozz40

remove HOW babylon search

• Susendeep Dutta

Follow the steps mentioned above.

23. Bill Miller

For chrome, go to tools, then settings then click extensions and remove babylon toolbar. That should do it.

24. Emma

How do I get rid of Babylon. My computer ran fine until that nightmare came along. My Norton confidential crashes, as well as Shock wave player. This Babylon engine (?) is a headache. How do I get rid of it, so I don't have to get rid of Google?

Hello, I would start reading all the responses since this thread started. You have to make sure to uninstall any program installed by Babylon. Once that is accomplished, make sure to change your default search engine to something else. Also, make sure to get rid of any entries for babylon in the extensions of the browser you are using.

25. Jess

I seem to be having the same problem. please help? i don't have mozila, only google defualt and google chrome.

Have you tried any of the solutions listed above?

• Oron

Here's how to remove Babylon from Chrome
      (sorry folks, for Firefox, see other answers in this thread)

Click on the wrench icon and choose Settings, then:
      1. Click on "Extensions" (on the left) and then find any extension with the word Babylon (such "Babylon Translator") and remove it by clicking on the bin (trash can) icon on the right.

2. Click on "Settings" (on the left) and then:
      2.1 In the "On Startup" section, click on "Set pages"
      2.2 If Babylon is listed, click on the [X] next to it on the right to delete it.
      2.3 If required, enter your preferred home page (e.g. http://google.com/)

3. in the "Appearance" section, under "Show Home button" click on "Change"
      3.1 Make sure that ONLY your preferred home page is listed and delete all other addressses.

4. In the "Search" section click on "Manage Search engine" and:
      4.1 Highlight your preferred search engine and click [Make default]
      4.2 Highlight the Babylon search engine and deleted by clicking the X on the right.
      * (you may actually want to remove ALL other entries from the list
      in this way)
      4.3 Click [OK] to return to the "Settings" window.
      4.4 Change the search engine to your preferred choice (e.g. Google)

5. Close the Settings window, quit Chrome and start it up again and test that everything is working as it should.

• Iain

You Sir, are a legend. Thank you! This was driving me a wee bit nuts!

26. Luis Mendoza

go to the wrench icon in google chrome. 1. click on settings, 2. click on extension, 3. remove babylon toolbar

27. Mike Rivera

Go to the wrench Icon in crome. on the main page you see homepage and 2 options. 1. Use the New Tab page.
    2. Open this page.

You want to have the Use the new tab page circled clicked. and the homepage as google.

• Jude

Didn't work. :/

28. Anthony Valliere

The following is a safe & simple fix, but if you don't feel 100% comfortable with editing your own registry then just make a backup of it so you can restore your registry booting into "safe mode" (just in case you change something that isn't related to the directions in my other post)

29. Anthony Valliere

Assuming all Babylon programs are removed but after-effects are still being seen:

Go to Start > Run > (type in) RegEdit (enter)
    the registry editor starts

press F3 (search) and type in “Babylon”
    Delete any/all folders named Babylon (this will stop windows from referencing any of the Babylon info stored/hidden on the hard drive)

For your browser registry keys: change the homepage value to your preferred URL, and the same for your tabs.

For internet explorer I changed mine back to “about:blank” and it solved it completely!

Enjoy

30. Tracey Dumbelton

I seem to be having the same problem, I use firefox and google chrome but yesterday evening I suddenly found myself on Babylon??? .. I havn't downloaded anything so have no idea how I got it. I checked my programs and found 2 things to do with Babylon so uninstalled them but still have the Babylon search box, I've also tried the advice given on here but Babylon isn't showing up anywhere in pluggins etc ... Have to say it's got me baffled!!!

If you have uninstalled the programs, disabled & removed the browser extensions, have you also changed your start page?

• Susendeep Dutta

Change your homepage to your desired one and if you're using,

Mozilla Firefox -

Click the search engine icon and select Manage Search Engines,select Babylon and click on remove.

Google Chrome -

Click on the Wrench icon( like spanner tool on top right side) then Settings,click on Basics tab,locate Manage search engines,select Babylon and click on x.

• Oron

Removing the Babylon toolbar itself is a matter of removing the program from the computer and disabling an Add-on in Internet explorer or the extension(s) in Firefox or Chrome.
      If the default search engine has changed, that is a different thing and you can reset it as follows:

Chrome:
      1) In the Spanner menu, choose "Settings" 2) Under "Basics", look for the section called "Search" and change the menu choice from Babylon to Google (or whatever else you prefer). Problem solved! 3) Optionally, click on [Manage search engines...] and delete the entry for Babylon altogether 4) Return to the main screen by closing the tab and test!
      (step 3 removes Babylon from the list but is not strictly required as it will not be active unless chosen as your preferred search engine)

Firefox:
      1) On the left of the search bar, there's a small icon. Click on the triangle _next_ to the icon, and choose Google (or whatever you want your search engine to be). Problem solved! 2) Optionally, click on the same triangle again and choose "Manage Search Engines" 3) Highlight Babylon and click [Remove] 4) Click [OK] to return to the main screen.
      (steps 2-4 remove Babylon from the list, but as long as it's not the default engine then it won't be active).

For Internet Explorer:
      1) go into Internet Options... 2) In the "Search" section click on [Settings] 3) Highlight "Babylon" in the list and click [Remove] 4) Highlight the search engine you want to use (e.g. Google or Bing) and click on [Set as Default]

• Ant

Open RegEdit, search for BABYLON, remove the program folder instance.
      Then, for your browser tab preset, you can just delete it or change it to "about:blank" (for internet explorer).

NO RESTARTING OF ANYTHING IS REQUIRED, this is an "instant fix" (and is permanent)

• Anthony Valliere

the registry editor starts

press F3 (search) and type in "Babylon"

For internet explorer I changed mine back to "about:blank" and it solved it completely!

Enjoy

• Baya

That works! :)

Thanks!

31. Raul Castro Ante

Please remove Babylon search from my webn I do not want any ore this program

• Malam

I don't load this search engine but don't know how this add my Google chrome and Firefox I was delete it 100 times but after someday it's comes again ...I thinking how can I remove it because I was fell a hard arable when it was Comes at first my search engine

• Susendeep Dutta

Mozilla Firefox -

Google Chrome -

Click on the Wrench icon(looks like spanner tool on top right side) then Settings,click on Basics tab,locate Manage search engines,select Babylon and click on x.

• Susendeep Dutta

Firefox -

Google Chrome -

32. Raul Castro A

No necesito este programa orque no me gusta.

33. mukesh kumar

please remove babylon from my web

• Susendeep Dutta

Mozilla Firefox -

Google Chrome -

Click on the Wrench icon( on top right side) then Settings,click on Basics tab,locate Manage search engines,select Babylon and click on x.

• bob0

i did that and it didn't work

• Susendeep Dutta

Try uninstalling Babylon related software from your PC.

• Steve Justin

Hey Dutta - You keep posting a solution that does not work for everyone. If Babylon DOES NOT appear in programs, settings, files or anywhere else how can you delete it??? I have tried 4 different routes to this bastard cling-on Babylon and it DOES NOT appear. But the toolbar just sits there mocking me.

• Susendeep Dutta

You can try Revo uninstaller to remove it from your PC if it has got installed as a program -

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Revo-Uninstaller.shtml

Then make sure that you also change the homepage too as the Babylon related software might have changed it.The homepage has to be changed manually.

34. farhin farheen

hasssh thank a lot
    i just hate this babylon
    its so irritating
    thanks guys....
    finally i hv removed

35. MICHAEL WILKINSON

I OPTED NOT TO HAVE THIS DAMNED THING BUT IT GOT INSTALLED AS MY MAIL SEARCH ENGINE ANY WAY,,,NOW I HAVE TO START ALL OVER,,,ITS NOT LISTED IN MY CONTROL PANEL OR PROGRAMS,,,SEARCHES FOR FILES SO *NO RESULTS*,,,BUT HERE IT IS LIKE A HOUSE GUEST THAT WON'T LEAVE

• Susendeep Dutta

Firefox -

Google Chrome -

Click on the Wrench icon(situated on top right side) then Settings,click on Basics tab,locate Manage search engines,select Babylon and click on x.

• Penny

You are posting this so much yet there are so many of us that arent computer noobs and have done all this. I have checked my add/remove programs it wasnt there, i have removed chrome and deleted its program files and then reinstalled it, this also didnt work. I look under manage search engines and i looked under extensions and it is not there either its so freaking annoying!!! Whenever i open chrome another tab opens with babylon search, its really pissing me off.

36. Kammogi

it is creating trouble

• Susendeep Dutta

Firefox -

Google Chrome -

Click on the Wrench icon( top right side) then Settings,click on Basics tab,locate Manage search engines,select Babylon and click on x.

37. Kammoji

it is creating trouble

38. ruthann

Go to your wrench icon in Google Chrome.  Go to settings. You will see Babylon under your "search".  Change it to Google or Yahoo or whatever you want it to be. So far that is working.  Hopefully it will continue to work.

• Ci

Awesome ruthan, thank you. This bloody babylon thing was nothing short of a massive pain in the ass. To you I am indebted.

• Dorene

I am using Google Chrome. I went to settings and I didnt see Babylon under my "search" but I know babylon is still on my laptop b/c every time I open up my browser babylon search engine pops up. Any help would be appreciated. I have tried every thing. I have no idea how it even got on my laptop.

39. Steveox3

Tried all the suggestion to delete babylon none of them worked the easiest way is to system restore to an earlier date works no problem
    regards steve

• Susendeep Dutta

You can also perform steps mentioned below without hassle of system restore -

Firefox -

Google Chrome -

• Barb

I have a chrome and these manuals don't work in my nb =(. I've tried everything what is written here...

40. Useless Youtube

Thank you SOOOO much, Jeff Fabish, you really did save my life. i hate babylon, and i had no idea how it got installed. i have chrome. and no one really knew how to solve my problem, until you came along! THANKS AGAIN :)
    (no one likes babylon)

41. Millie

For Mozilla Firefox: You can click on the tiny down arrow next to the babylon search engine icon, select: Manage Search Engine, and remove it.

For Google Chrome: Click on the tool icon (a wrench), click on Extensions, and disable then remove Babylon.

:)

42. Arnold_claudiu

for internet explorer 8 : remove Internet Explorer 8 from StartControl PanelAdd or remove programs.. after you do this u just have to reinstall the Internet Explorer 8 and stupid Babylon it's gone

43. Naveen

In google chrome
    go to options-> search-> set default search engine to google

44. Jay.0

Mozila support : how to remove Babylon:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/746530

45. Jsmith

if its still there do a file search and find the babylon.xml file that is what you have to nuke to get rid of it.

Hello, have you tried setting another search engine as default?  Have you checked if Babylon is set as your Home Page?  I think your best option of getting rid of Babylon is by doing the following:

-- go to tools
    -- Options
    -- general
    -- under Home Page, make sure to delete Babylon as your Home Page
    -- type another home page like http://www.google.com
    -- click on ok and apply

Make sure to remove Babylon from add ons and extensions.  Once you have setup your homepage to something else, restart and see if it changed.  Make sure to uninstall Babylon by using revo uninstaller and that should be it.

• Milan

Thanks...it's really works.

Hello, I am really glad solution worked for you

• hello

I can't find "tools"

• Susendeep Dutta

It's called Wrench icon that is located at the top right corner of Google Chrome.It looks like spanner.

• ken

thanks this worked

• dennis

wrench-> tools-> there is no "options."

• Oscar

I use Chrome. I went into setting and removed the Babylon search engine. I also set Google as my default. Nothing changed.

• Susendeep Dutta

Did you saw any software related to Babylon installed in your PC and tried to uninstall it?

• Oscar

Yeah, I had to restart my computer. Babylon's annoying, to say the least.

• john

Hi Fidelis this worked well done

do a system restore if nothing works.

Hi Sushil,

Go to Start -> Programs and Features/Add | Remove Programs and remove Babylon. If Windows fails to uninstall it, you may want to use an uninstaller utility. Once removed, make sure it is removed from your browser extensions.

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Addons and make sure it is not listed in "Extensions" or "Plugins". If it is, left click on it and chose "Disable", then "remove".In Chrome, Go to the Wrench icon -> Tools -> Extensions. Uncheck "enabled" next to Babylon and then press the "Remove" button. 

You must restart your browser for the changes to take effect. 

• M3TLH3D

Also, Wrench->Tools->Extensions->Basics. Change the home page back to Google and under the Search change it back to Google. You can erase through the Manage search engines button.

• Emma

I followed these steps, but instead of an option for basics, I got a page of my extensions. I went to programs to delete it, but Babylon isn't listed. Is there some other way to get rid of this nightmare?

• AJay

Hey Emma instead of Basics click on Settings. It should be on the left. Scroll down and change your search settings to Google. That should do the trick!

• Tom

I've done all that has been mentioned for Google. It works only temporarily. Babylon continues to show up the next day without fail. It has been deleted from "programs and features" as well. It does not show up there but continues to replace Google.

• Susendeep Dutta

Follow the steps mentioned in the link below.

Add, edit, or remove search engines -

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95653

• Jordan

All these suggestions only work temporarily. For quite some time I have been resetting the home page and search engine, and also deleting the extension. However it always seems to come back.

• get out

ok Susendeep Dutta, I clicked on that uninstaller link and guess what it said. it said that it was going to install babylon toolbar and make it the default search browser. Have you even looked at it or are you just trying to make things worse. Dont trust this guy ppl

• Shyanne

I know exactly what you mean, Babylon is a nightmare, I hate it, the links it takes you to are crappy, I guess I will have to take my laptop to a professional to have it removed from my computer completely.

• Al

Thanks again to Jeff. This worked like a charm for Firefox. Simple and straight to the point. Life saver

• dan

where is the tools located at

• dennis

it is not listed in uninstaller nor is it in wrench extentions. The same solution di not work on "7" for eliminating Yahoo Messenger...are thes programs hidden from the uninstall list? any other way? I don't trust buying uninstallers online

• PETER

Thanks it works

• famished fish

y i tried everything u guys posted here and the next day it still comes back!!!!!!!!wat is wrong wif the stupid babylon search engine !!!!!pls pls pls post more ideas to help me get rid of this pain in the butt babylon!!!!!!!!!PLS n TQ
      :(

• Elizabeth

I just got it. I have read everything to get it off. Including root directory stuff. Crome let me take it off by going to settings>On start up>set pages. Crafty little devil hiding in there. Hope I got it this time

• jake

tnx elizabeth worked like a charm!

• shannon

OMG your a life saver been working on this for three hours .. that was the last thing that i had not found yet ..

• pat

thanks..that work :)

• Ian

Thank's Elizabeth, worked a treat, hope the beggar doesn't come back

• Austin

this worked for me. You are right, very tricky. I noticed an "id" in the address. May have been someone tracking me for affiliate products or something.

• Austin

worked for me too, very tricky!!

• Lisa

Thank you, Elizabeth!! That was driving me insane. It was as bad as a virus, easily. "Start up" could be a bit more obvious a setting as well.