How do I remove the Babylon search engine from my browser?
Question by sushil /

How can I remove the Babylon search engine from Mozilla and Chrome? Whenever I open a new tab, it shows up.

• str8arrow

TO REMOVE BABYLON SEARCH ENGINE FROM FIREFOX – NONE OF THE ABOVE METHODS WORKED FOR ME, INCLUDING THE ABOUT:CONFIG AND KEYWORD.URL SOLUTIONS.

THIS IS WHAT DID WORK:
    1. GO TO C:/USER/APPDATA/ROAMING/MOZILLA/FIREFOX/PROFILES/

*CLICK ON THIS PROFILE FOLDER (IT IS YOURS), AND IT IS NAMED WITH THE GOBBLEDYGOOK FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION. SHAME IT DIDN’T PROTECT US FROM THE BABYLON VIRUS.

2. INSIDE THIS FOLDER YOU WILL SEE A FILE NAMED prefs.js – RIGHT CLICK ON IT, THEN SELECT OPEN WITH, THEN SELECT NOTEPAD (THIS WILL BE UNDER C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/NOTEPAD.EXE.)

3. THIS WILL OPEN UP THE FILE IN TEXT EDITOR. MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ALL OF THE FIREFOX WINDOWS CLOSED OR THIS STEP WON’T WORK!! THE PROGRAM JUST OVERWRITES YOUR CHANGES WITH THE EXISTING STUFF WHEN IT DOES FINALLY CLOSE DOWN, SO CLOSE IT NOW!)

4. NOW, GO TO THE TOP AND HIT EDIT–>FIND . ENTER ‘BABYLON’ AS THE SEARCH TERM.
    – WHEREVER YOU SEE BABYLON, ENTER ‘GOOGLE’ INSTEAD.
    – WHEREVER YOU SEE http://WWW.BABYLON.COM. JUST DELETE IT AND INSERT http://WWW.GOOGLE.COM (OR http://WWW.GOOGLE.CA).
    – IF YOU SEE http://WWW.BABYLON.COM/FAVICON.ICO THEN JUST ENTER http://WWW.GOOGLE.COM/FAVICON.ICO.

5. HIT ALT–>EDIT–>FIND NEXT AND IT WILL GO TO THE NEXT BABYLON ENTRY. ONCE AGAIN, REPLACE AS NOTED ABOVE.

6. REPEAT STEP 5 UNTIL IT SAYS ‘NO SEARCH TERM FOUND’ (OR NO BABYLON FOUND, OR WHATEVER…)…THIS MEANS YOU HAVE REPLACED ALL THE BABYLON ENTRIES SUCCESSFULLY.

7. JUST CHECK TO BE SURE – GO TO THE TOP OF THE PAGE, AND ENTER ALT–>EDIT–>FIND (ENTER BABYLON) AND CLICK FIND. IT SHOULD NOT FIND ANY ENTRIES IF YOU’VE DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY.

8. CLICK ALT–>FILE–>SAVE AS AND SAVE AS ‘prefs.js’ – IT WILL ASK IF YOU WANT TO REPLACE THE EXISTING FILE, SO CLICK YES.

9. CLOSE THE FILE.

10. REOPEN FIREFOX.

11. BABYLON SHOULD BE GONE AND YOU SHOULD HAVE GOOGLE LISTED AS YOUR SEARCH ENGINE. CONGRATS. INFECTION TREATED.

• Leon Harley Dabon Franco

uh….. how do u do it

• kt

I managed to get rid of Babylon from Chrome by going to the wrench on the right side, then into settings. Then I went to “On startup”. I clicked on the “Open new tab page” and went out of the browser. Then I went back into the Chrome and got only a new page. Too cool! I then went to the wrench, and settings, and in the “On Startup”, I clicked on “Open a specific page or set of pages. Set pages”., and on the “Set Pages”. I made sure that my google home page was the page shown, and clicked OK. When I went out, and back in again, I got my single page, and it was Google.

• Dertien

Yes Babylon is a real PITA

-1: Uninstall Babylon search in windows uninstall/install program
      -2; Check your browser settings in chrome/mozilla/ie to delete them in the addons/plugins section of your browser itself if it is still there
      -3 get rid of the registry entries of babylon with spybot search and destroy, its donationware, which means its free
      download program here; http://www.safer-networking.org/nl/download/index.html
      install spybot; let it update the virus definitions and let it scan your pc

If babylon and other problems are found after the scan click the button in the middle on top which says ‘fix selected problems’ and let spybot do its work while rebooting your pc.

4 Problem solved

• Siddharta

Press Alt+F. Then go to Settings>
    Then go to “search” and change default browser to google.
    Close the browser and open again.

• Kevin Nodland

go to Settings, and I did what everyone said …..go to manage search engines and deleted the ones I didnt want. But I also went to Settings, then ” Open a specific page or set of pages” Set pages (blue type)…….. this is where I was able to delete the two that I did not want, by clicking the grey X at the end of the line (you must mouse over the line of type, to find the X). I also went to control panel and uninstalled it from there. Then I restarted computer right away. Good Luck.

• Hareesh

Go to Chrome settings; Click on the hyperlink ‘Set Pages’ that you can find under ‘On start up’. There you would see the babylon search link; Click on the X to remove it from the start up page.

Thank You

• ganesh

just go to wrench tool google chrome .select setting—->go to search and select manage search engines button–>delete babylon site then after ok button.problam solve.

• Lydia

If you’ve been HIJACKED by Babylon…simply CHANGE your Search Engine, and Homepage. If you like your present …just comeback to them in a few days… IT WORKS!!!!

• Terry

I feel like the rest of the world took a turn that apparently I was supposed to make, but I don’t understand why. I do know that the only thing that is constant is change. So maybe I am supposed to make the same turn that the rest of world made. As happens so frequently when the world changes there are those like myself who want to know why I should make this change. I reserve the right to choose for myself and I really don’t like others deciding that I have to go along with the change. So I feel myself caught up in something I don’t understand. I have also noticed that I seem to be unable to watch video’s on Firefox. Once again, I seem to be off the main road, without any knowledge of how I did so and what I can do so that I can go youtube.com and watch a video. I don’t always read instructions, but since the world has changed so drastically, then I am beginning to get the idea that for now I had best read the instructions so I know what is going on. My perception is that the world is moving much too fast for my comfort. I already feel as though I have more than enough to cope with. Maybe this is a time for mega leap in whatever direction that world has taken if I want to catch up. Hopefully with God’s help I can figure out what is going on. My perception is that I am dragged into something that I don’t understand and that I have no choice but to conform. That goes against my beliefs–I believe I always have a choice. I have no cell phone and no intention of getting one. Why in the world would I want to be distracted from what I am doing? Fortunately at bridge all cell phones are to be turned off. I hope this isn’t too long to be posted, because I can’t help but feel that there are others like myself who aren’t ready to pulled, kicking and screaming, into only God knows what. The fact that others are asking how to remove the Babylon search engine tells me that I am not alone, of course I know God is always with me. So, Lord, what am I to do? Obviously I need to know what is going on in order to make an informed choice. I know that as I ask, I will receive. Amen. (So be it.)