How can I remove Babylon and Conduit?

Brian Dowling November 19, 2011

I somehow acquired the Babylon and Conduit “toolbars” through no obvious action that I can recall. After some trial and error I was able to isolate them by using Chrome as my browser, but I’d prefer to have some more choice. How do I get rid of these toolbars so I can use what I want?

Hello, first things first.  Download Revo Uninstaller free form the next link.  Make sure to pick the free version.  Once downloaded install it:
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Once program is installed, open program and look for any entry for Babylon and Conduit.  Conduit is the company that makes configurable toolbars that can be added on.  Click on Conduit and Babylon, hit the uninstall button and remove any and all entries for both.  Sometimes the conduit toolbars are installed by the system's manufacturer, you can delete it, the system will not die or anything, on the contrary, you will see an improvement on speed.  If desired, the toolbar can be install later.

Open firefox and do the following:

-- start firefox
    -- click on Tools and then options 
    -- on general tab and under Home Page, make sure that Conduit/Babylon is not set as your home page.  If it is, make sure to change that to google.com or any other homepage you want
    -- click on ok and restart firefox

Following same steps as before open the options in firefox and do the following:

-- on general tab, click on Manage add-ons
    -- click on extensions and make sure that conduit/babylon is not there.  If it is there, first click on disable and then remove
    -- click on plugins and if entries are there, first disable and then remove
    -- click on ok
    -- restart browser

Now to change your default search engine, do the following:

-- start firefox
    -- click on down arrow next to search box and click on manage search engines
    -- once box pops up showing you all the seach engines available, remove conduit/babylon entry if any by highlight it and then clicking on the remove button
    -- set a new default search entry in same box or you can search for another one by
    clicking on the get more search engines link.
    -- restart firefox and check if it is still there.

Most times toolbars like this are installed when you install another program.  Make sure to read any installation pages and the description of the program.  If you do this, you will catch the pages that offer you extra stuff to install.  All you do is take the mark off of the extra program/toolbar included in the software.

You could also check mark the following to at least be informed when something tries to change your browser:

-- open firefox
    -- click on Tools and then options
    -- click the security tab
    -- mark the warn me when sites try to install add-ons option
    -- click on ok

For internet explorer:

-- open internet explorer
    -- click on Tools and then Internet Options
    -- in the General tab and under home Page make sure that babylon/conduit is not set as home page.  If it is, change it to something else like bing or google or your preferred home page
    -- under search heading, click on settings
    -- when search providers page open, make sure to set the search provider to bing/google, etc, if conduit/babylon appears there.  If you need other search engines, just click on the find more search providers link.
    -- click on Toolbars and Extension
    -- if you find a babylon/conduit entri there, highlight it and click on disable
    -- click on close

Once this is done, make sure to clean cache, history, temporary internet files, cookies etc., so that you can get rid of any entries that might have been left there by the toolbar.  click on ok and restart explorer.  If the toolbar still shows, your best bet would be to reset the browser to default.  This will load internet explorer to its default settings as the first time it was installed.  To do so, do the following:

-- open internet explorer
    -- click on tools and the internet options
    -- click on Advanced Tab
    -- at the bottom, click on reset
    -- click on ok
    -- restart browser

• Aziziali77

maybe late..but thank you!!

Hello, don't mention it.  I am glad I was able to help.

2. Jeff

Hi Brian,

Install Revo Uninstaller Trial and it should be able to remove them both.

does it mean that toolbars are on firefox and IE?
    firefox :
    view>> toolbars >>unckeck babylon tooolbar.

a.go to control panel and go to add/remove programs

check if babylon etc is there.
    remove them
    delete their folders in program files.

option b :
    If you restore the system to the date before the tooolbars installed using system restore, you can remove them.

c.
    1. Type about:config in the bar and hit enter, ignore the funny
    warning
    2. Type Babylon in the search query and hit enter. This will show
    all Babylon Sh%t in your browser
    3. Right click "extensions.BabylonToolbar.firstRun" and select
    "Toggle"
    4. Select keyword.URL (This is the fixed line, yours will have
    Babylon in it) and "Modify" it and copy/paste this in:
    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q="
    5. Exit the tab and restart your browser

see mozila page : http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/746530

try and tell me if it worked, and always be careful/b while installing anything, uncheck the options of toolbars.

• Briandowling69

Hi Jay,
      My inexperience let me describe conduit and babylon as toolbars - they are not !
      I see them located in 'Search Engine ' in Basics - Start up.
      I don't use IE or Firefox much.
      I use google chrome as default as it was the only way to stop conduit/babylon.

Brian.

hello, if it is your default search engine, and home page,
        you can change it.
        read step c in the above comment.
        to change the home page : tools>options>homepage
        (or click on home button if available and right click and customize it.)

you can remove search engine from the list on click on manange search engine and remove.

or

C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxsearchplugins
        and delete unwanted file.

also notice step c : in the above comment.
        which says to remove babylon and replace it with normal options like google.
        hope it will help.