How can I remove an autorun virus from my protable device?

rishi November 20, 2011

I use ESET Smart Security 5 anti virus software. It has show an autorun virus, but it can’t remove it.

So, how can I remove autorun virus from my portable hard disk, pen drive and mobile phones? And how can I protect my portable devices?

1. Nuwan Chamara

plz hepl me to repair my account. There is a problem in my account

U can use autorun virus remover.I have been useing wih it but no time can i say to u that it isn't work.defenitely I offer to buy it

once you remove the autirun.inf file with an updated antivirus,
    create a folder named autorun.inf in your root folder of pendrive.
    so that it can't be created again on your pendrive.

Hello, usually when you set the hidden files to unhidden, you will find a folder in your usb drive name Recycler, this is mostly where this viruses hide.  You could try installing malwarebytes like suggested before and run the fileassassin tool to get rid of it.  Or,  you could try Lockhunter and unlocker to see if you can get rid of that file. 

Usually, what I have done in the past for this case is to move the files/folders on the drive to another system protected with sandboxie, returnil or deep freeze.  That way even if I move the file or open it, it stays in a sandbox and doesn't infect my system.  Once the files I want/need to keep are moved, I just format the usb drive twice.  Once drive is formatted, I would check it for viruses/malware.  Then, I would proceed to scan the files/folders I moved for viruses/malware.  If files are clean, I would move them back to the usb drive.  It never hurt me to scan the usb drive again to make sure.  Also, make sure to turn autorun off as suggested above.

5. Jeff

Hi Rishy,

Before attempting to clean out an infected external media device, be certain that AutoPlay is disabled, or else you run the risk of the virus infecting your system as well. Here is a tutorial on how to disable autoplay.

Go to Start -> Run/Search and type "cmd.exe". Once the command prompt opens, change directory (CD) to the media which you need to disinfect, such as "CD K:". Once you're in drive, enter the command "attrib -r -a -s -h *.*" which will expose hidden and read only files. Then just delete the file that's infected. You can find out what file's are infected by running a malware scanning on the drive.

Many anti-viruses have the ability to clean infected external media. My favorite tool for this is Emsisoft Anti-Malware. See our compilation of Malware Removal tools. From here, it's exactly the same as cleaning up a virus on an internal hard drive. Scan the drive for malware, cleanup, etc.

To protect your external drives, there are a few steps to take. Firstly, when you're not using the drive, remove it. Drives often have a "write protect switch", which is functionally equivalent to removing the drive. This will greatly reduce the odds of you getting it infected. Secondly, you can enable password protection on the drive. Then, in order to perform reading/writing on the drive, a password will have to be supplied.

Still, this doesn't protect the drive in the case that you unintentionally copy an infected file to it. So perform regular scanning on your hard drives with an up-to-date anti-virus and anti-malware. Most modern anti-viruses have the ability to perform scanning when a new device is detected, make sure this is enabled.

USB Guardian [Tool]
    Panda USB Vaccine [Tool]
    USB Firewall

Write Protect Thumb Drives With ThumbScrew
    Encrypt Data On Your Drive With Cypherix
    3 Awesome Tools To Add More Functionality To Your USB Drives [Windows]
    Encrypt Your USB Stick With Truecrypt 6.0
    5 Awesome Apps To Make Things Easier On A USB Drive
    USB Write Protector

• Rishi

thanks jeff