How can I relocate the system information folder in Windows 7?

Rickesh John April 27, 2012

Is it safe to relocate/remove the system information folder present in the C: drive of my Windows 7 operating system?

And if it is, would someone please suggest how to do it?

1. Jerry Berry

Also, IObit defrag (free) will do a "Boot Time" defrag for most unmovable and MFT files.

• Rickesh John

Thanks for the suggestion man, I will definitely try out IOBit Defrag.

2. Jerry Berry

The System Information Folder is where System Restore keeps your backup files and Registry backups. First stop SysRestore for that drive, then you can delete it. I do this for making drive image backups, then turn SysRestore back on for the drive. I suggest you do the same.

3. Nika Shvelidze

I think it is related to NTFS,
    So DO NOT touch it!

No. That folder will appear on EVERY drive attached to your system and it is REQUIRED to be there in order for it to function properly.

• Rickesh John

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the reply man. Actually I should have been more specific with my question. I was trying to pull out more space from my C: drive by shrinking. The defragmenter showed some "unmovable" files (System Volume Information) which were preventing further shrinking of the hard-drive. And for that reason I wanted to delete/relocate them for the time being.

Anyways, I disabled the System Restore feature to extract some extra 20GB of space.

i think norton utilities have defrag option and they can do that while defrag hard drive.

It's been years since I have used NU (probably around 2003 or so). At that point, Speed Disk would defrag hibernation files, the system registry, and the page file, but anything in System Information was left alone. Don't know if that is still the case. Will need to DL the trial to test it.