How can I re-install Windows Vista Home Premium if I lost the CD?

Cesar Del Valle July 26, 2012

I need to find a way to install vista home premium on my computer. I formatted the hard drive and I can not find the CD anywhere. If this can’t be done for free, I bought win7 upgrade and how would I be able to use that as a work around from Vista?

1. Bodi Hemanth

first download a vista iso file and install it after that you can update with windows 7 disk.

2. kaleshpr

download original pack

3. Amit Sinha

you can download vista ISO file from Microsoft just open it and it will ask for you to insert a blank DVD and now new DVD is ready to use and install. You must have license key to activate it

4. Elijah Swartz

You can download the official .iso images of the Vista DVD straight from Microsoft's Digital River online storefront. Download it, burn it to a dvd, boot to the dvd, and install as you would expect. As stated in the Dell Support wiki, the dvd .iso image can be used with both Dell and non Dell oem keys. You will just have to do phone activation. Use your key.

5. Dave Rimmer

You can try here took me about 2 Mins to download. You will have to burn it to Dvd.

6. StefanyBaez

Do you have the licence key? If so, Microsoft would let you download a copy of your OS using your licence key. Go to :)

7. danielooi

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals

8. fizzbin88

You can obtain a copy of Vista from anywhere. You simply install and use YOUR Vista Key when asked. This Key should be affixed to your computer...

9. Cesar Del Valle

I don't have the CD for win7. I had the CD for Vista which I can't find. I do have the product keys for both Vista and 7

• Alan Wade

If you have a LEGAL key for Win 7 I can get you a download site for an untouched clean version of windows 7.
      Email me for details.

• Alan Wade

Just as a footnote you say you bought Win 7 upgrade, did you lose that disk as well?

10. Dylan Brendan

As lon gas you have your product key that is in good standing you can install it with a CD disk.

Here is a simple working solution.
    Install Windows 7 but do not enter any key when asked, this will give youa 30 day trial.
    Let it install all the updates and yes there will be a few.
    Once its finished updating you need to open the registry editor by typing regedit in the search box then press enter.
    Navigate your way to this key:
    In the right hand pane look for MediaBootInstall, double click on it and change the value 0 (It may be on 1).
    Close the registry editor.
    Click on Start then in the search box type cmd and on the cmd.exe right click and select Run As Administrator. Handle the UAC prompt.
    In the Command window type slmgr /rearm (note the space between the r and the / ).
    Press Enter then wait for the Command Completed dialog.
    Close the Command Prompt window and reboot.
    Click on Start then right click on Computer and select Properties.
    Once the window has opened enter your Windows upgrade key and you will it will be accepted.

• Alan Wade

Sorry typed too fast! The last sentence should read:

Once the properties window has opened enter your Windows 7 upgrade key and you will find it will be accepted.

Should you ever need to re-install windows 7 after that just install it as normal and enter the key directly as it will be registered with Microsoft.

12. Shakirah Faleh Lai

Hope you still have your own product key because you can download a copy from microsoft but you need to pay for it. Borrowing the media is the best alternative.

13. ferdinan Sitohang

The question is do you have a key? if you have, try to download vista home premium trial edition, install it, and when it prompts you a key, you can use that one you have, after that you can do upgrade to windows 7.

14. UD98

if you have no disc , no key then you cant do that

• Alan Wade

He has an upgrade disk!

Since it is an upgrade disc, the Win7 installation will ask for an acceptable prior version of Windows in order to install it, so you can do an installation if you have a version of WinXP or Vista installation media.If you still have your Product Key sticker (perhaps on the case of your machine), you can borrow the media from a friend/neighbor in order to do the installation USING YOUR OWN PRODUCT KEY!If you know someone who has a TechNet or MSDN subscription, they can download the ISO file from Microsoft for you which would already have the latest service pack installed (and sometimes other patches) and that can save you time during a reinstall.