How can I reinstall Windows on two Dell laptops for which I have lost the install CDs?

GrrGrrr August 15, 2012

Hello,

I have two Dell laptops – a Dell 620 and a 630 with Windows XP and Vista installed. Unfortunately the CDs supplied by Dell are missing.

I tried installing XP Pro on 620 model and supplying the serial which is on the sticker on the bottom of the machine, but it didn’t accept. The same happened for Vista. I have of course tried installing same OS edition as mentioned on the sticker, but nothing works so far.

Is there a possible workaround to get those serial numbers on the sticker working?

1. GrrGrrr

Thanks everyone for help. I am resolving this question.

Hello, I am afraid you only have to choices: one, get the discs shipped by Dell and install them or get a Retail version of the operating system and start brand new. Ever since recovery partitions were provided instead os discs, most big computer manufactures like Dell can only use the license attached to the system with the recovery partition or OEM disc provided.

3. John Schmitt

I have contacted Dell in the past and for a small fee (around 20.00 with shipping) you can get the OS CD shipped to you.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=52182

once you start DEll perhaps + will give you access to pc restore function.
    If you do not press + at the right time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart it again.

5. Hannes Schön

If you're lucky, both laptops have a recovery partition installed, which will set them back to factory defaults (deleting all data stored on them...)
    This way Dell doesnt need to ship countless CD's and DVD's to the customer - although if you already HAD those CD's and lost them, its not much hope for a recovery partition :-( Maybe Dell will resend them to you if you ask kindly? ;-))

• GrrGrrr

yes, CDs were shipped for sure.

While doing a reinstall of XP i saw a partition of may b 4Gb, or 400mb size. not sure what it is, and how could i access recovery partition..

6. ferdinan Sitohang

Is it already the same edition? such as XP Pro SP1? if not my be it is the problem

• GrrGrrr

I know on the edition as XP PRO, but not on service pack.

i'm sure it was no sp3.

@Bruce - thanks

• ferdinan Sitohang

if it is the problem, i think you need to have an OEM version XP Pro, since it has some difference with the XP Pro OLP or FPP version.

Those product keys on the stickers are for the OEM version of those operating systems. They will not work with a retail version of the OS. You may be able to get Dell to ship recovery discs for the machines for a nominal fee. Or you could buy retail copies and use those instead.