Should I reinstall Windows 8 because it is not genuine?

Carlo Leonini October 12, 2014

After a wrong update I got the following error message:

” your copy of windows is not genuine”.

My copy of Windows was installed on a brand new PC when I bought it 5 years ago. A few times I reinstalled the OS using recovery manager and had no problems.

I don’t have the product number ( my son bought it for me at an American base) and contacting support here in Italy is impossible, so I wonder if I try to reintall the OS again with recovery manager. Will it let me do it or will I find myself without a PC?

Thanks for your help.

Like Hovsep, I'm a little lost. Windows 8 was only released in October 2012, so you can't have got it with the PC 5 years ago. Can you clarify?

wrong update? you mean from windows 7 to windows 8?
    Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-7-tutorial
    If Upgrade Assistant tells you that your PC meets the system requirements and is able to run Windows 8.1, it provides a recommendation for which edition to buy, with the option to buy, download, and install it by following the on-screen steps. You'll see current pricing in Upgrade Assistant, or you can go to the Compare and decide about Windows 8.1 page.

• Carlo Leonini

By wrong update I didn't mean an OS upgrade. By mistake I installed some upgrades for office 2007 which I did not have and that caused the problem. However after a whole day work, since my copy of Windows was genuine I was able to fix it.Everything is fine now, thanks a lot.

thanks for your feedback; glad things are fixed easily:)