Why can I not re-install Windows 7 from my upgrade DVD?

Ray Nelson August 13, 2011

I started a re-install of Windows to build it from scratch and in process get things into order so it will install updates. 1 hr into copying files it says: “Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all the files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x80070017″It is an install from my original W7 disk…

This is my original Windows 7 install (upgrade) disk that has only been used once.

I am trying to re-install because Windows 7 refuses to update Service Pack 1, saying “The component store has been corrupted. ]02:29.184: ERROR: Neutral MSU installation failed (exit code = 0x00003712 (14098))”

Keep in mind, this is a re-install to a Windows 7 system from the Windows 7 upgrade disk (which could be the problem?).

Any help would be appreciated.