Can I reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop using my friend’s copy?

KamilKozyra November 6, 2012

I have a Toshiba laptop that needs to have Windows 7 reinstalled. I have no disks of any kind with it.

I can borrow a disk my friend used to reinstall Windows 7 (from scratch) that came with his HP desktop.

I saw other question asked here, but my question is can I borrow that disk (from HP) and use it in my Toshiba? What about the product-key?

1. prasad kondaveti

yes you can

2. imran

i have lost my boot dvd for formatting windows 7,so how can i formate it

3. Ilemobayo Owaseye

yes

4. Kamil Ko

For the responders that can I cannot use the HP disks - would it cause any major problems or just not work?

5. James Hanley

i also forgot to say you can buy a windows 7 install disc from ebay for under 10 pounds ,you can find the product key using jellybean key finder which you can download from the internet.

6. James Hanley

not likely you would need to buy a new product key as it can only be used once you will get a grace period of 30 days to activate windows after you install windows 7 ,also you cannot use your friends disc as it likely is only usable in a hp computer.

7. Paul Pruitt

I think it might be important that your friends disk be of the same version of Windows, by that I mean Home Basic, Home Premium Pro or Ultimate, as the product key says it is under your laptop.

• Kamil Ko

Both are Home Premium 64-bit.

8. Aniket Singh

u can use it but it will be a called as pirated........coz it is used by another user.....u can also download fake windows for any torrentz site with product key....

Most newer Toshiba laptops have a recovery partition that you access by holding down the zero key while powering up the computer until a recovery menu appears.

10. Kamil Ko

It's an L775-S7352. And course I was going to use the key on the bottom of the laptop.

11. Dany Bouffard

You can also try running Produkey to find out version and Produckey of your windows and install from a DVD similar to the version you have and use your serial number found by Produkey.

12. josemon maliakal

Ya sure..but you will be needing your own product key

13. Nikhil Chandak

I think u can definitely re-install Windows 7
    but if u want the product key for it , u have not mentioned here which version of windows 7 u r going to install ...... such as Windows Ultimate , Windows Professional & etc
    Removed by Admin - Please don't post product keys here. Thanks
    if I have forgot any version's product key or if u want some more keys (if these are not working) , then give me a reply

• Alan Wade

@Nikhil Chandak

Posting illegal keys is definately NOT the right approach to a problem.
      Hopefully the staff will ban you.

• Douglas Mutay

Thanks for saying that Alan.

14. Lisa Santika Onggrid

You could, in theory, unless there's some sort of autochecking. But you'll need to use your own product key. Other way around is not legal.
    Best is to use your own shipped recovery disc, or if you have, recovery partition.

15. Jan Fritsch

Usually discs shipped with devices are restore discs modified to fit the make and model of the laptop. Also it may preinstall some manufacturer software that is of little or no use for you

You can try reinstalling your system using it but there is a chance it will fail if possible at all. The best thing is to get a retail or clean OEM disc of Windows 7 and use this to perform an installation.

this depends it can fail, perhpas during installtion windows will check maker and model of the machine, some cd are BIOS locked and sometime they have autoactivation so even you succeed to install autoactivation will fail and you have little chance that your serial works?

17. Douglas Mutay

It should be working even if it was shipped with another laptop brand. This is for installation part. but regarding the key, I can't tell. You will find out when you will connect to Windows online to activate it...

Check to see if you have a recovery partition on your drive. You will need to use your key to re-install. Which Toshiba model is it?