How can I reinstall Vista without the CD?

Anonymous January 2, 2012

I want to reinstall the Vista operating system on my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop and return it to its factory state. I didn’t receive a CD with the laptop. I have made a backup. What do I do to reinstall Vista?

Hello, provided your recovery partition is intact, you can press the F10 key at startup to start a recovery.  Best way to find out which key you have to use is to pay attention at startup.  If screen is showing too fast for you to see, you could try click on the Pause/Break key. 

At bottom of screen if should say something like: to enter setup press Esc, to recover your system press F10, etc.  Usually for HP laptops you have to press ESC, but it could also be F1/F2.  If this doesn't show up you can enter your BIOS by pressing ESC key and make sure that Recovery is enabled.  You would have to check every page in BIOS to find this option.  It is usually in the first page though.  Once option is enabled, make sure to save settings.

If you still can access your system, you could try using the following:

-- click on start
    -- All programs
    -- find and expand HP tools entry
    -- select HP system recovery
    -- click yes when asked if you want to start recovery
    -- click on advanced options
    -- check options and select what you want
    -- click on yes

You can't reinstall vista without the recovery or reinstall CD. What exactly do you have a backup of? Your computer as it is now? 

If it didnt come with a recovery cd, it's likely built into the computer on a recovery partition somewhere. Checking the manual would be a great start - or dont you have that either?