How can I reinstall the sound device on my laptop without the installation CD?
Question by Marlene Uhing /

I accidentally deleted the sound device or drive for my laptop running Windows XP. How do I re-install it? I no longer have any installation CDs.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• shanyll

how can i reinstall the sound device on my loptop without the installation CD? PLS… HELP ME.:((

• Stephanie08mendoza

I deleted the sound on my Eee Laptop. How can I restore it?

Hello, visit the following link and you can either use the model automatic detection option or you could enter the information manually

Once your model is detected, double check that is right.  It will show you a page with different drivers.  Make sure to select and download the driver for your operating system.  Look for a driver for sound and make sure to download it.  Without knowing your model, I can not tell you what kind of sound driver it uses.  Once file is downloaded, do the following:

— navigate to where file was saved

— if the file is compressed with a .zip extension, uncompress it with windows utility by right clicking on file and selecting extract all.  Once file is uncompressed, another folder will open.

— double click on file that opened to install it.  If it shows several files, make sure to select a file which is usually named setup.exe.  Double click on this file and follow the instructions

— once file is finished installing, restart your system

If instalation went ok, you should have sound in your system.  Let me know how it goes by replying to my reply. 

• Random1

“If it does not show, go to computer manufacturer and download it”…… do i go to computer namufacturer? :s whr is it?

Hello, the following steps should tell you if you deleted the sound device or only the driver. If the sound device shows but it tells you there is a problem with it, you only need the driver. If the sound device does not show, you have to download it either from the motherboard manufacturer or the computer manufacturer:

–type dxdiag (direct X diagnostics tool)
    –On menu click on Sound tab (it should tell you what your sound device is and the Device id.
    –click on test direct sound

Have you checked in device manager if the sound device shows? Or if it shows with a question mark? Do the following:

— windows key + pause/break key
    — hardware tab
    — device manager
    — Find and expand the sound, video and game controllers
    — Check for an entry like C-media AC97 audio device (there are different ones)
    — If it does not show, go to computer manufacturer and download it.

Check in your device manager if there is any entry showing as unknown device. If there is you can download the software on the following link. This software is called Speccy and it should show you everything about your hardware installed in your system. Most times, it even shows you the name or id of unknown hardware in your system. Hope it helps:

• Marleneuhing

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it and will see if I can make this work.

Hey Marlene,

Did you manage to reinstall the drivers? Let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

• MarleneUhing

Yes, FIDELIS directions worked like a charm.

• MarleneUhing

I checked your first instructions and there was no device identified. Following your second set of instructions, it asked me if I wanted to restore the AC97, I said yes, and it restored it through an Internet site for me. Thank you, thank you so much!!

• Linadefalco

What sige did u use? I have an Acer aspire and accidentally uninstalled the audio .how can I reinstall it pls

• jhpot

You need to head to the website of the company that made your laptop, then head to the “drivers” section. For example, if you use a Dell head to and follow the instructions there. You’ll either have to enter your computer’s model number, found on the machine itself, or a service tag, typically found on a sticker on the bottom of the machine. You’ll then find a list of drivers, including your audio driver. Install and enjoy, and come back here if you have more questions.