How can I re-install my operating system if I cannot find the install disk for my laptop?

Tricia Colameta January 20, 2012

I need to wipe my laptop clean and reinstall the original disk, but I cannot find it. I am not even sure there was a disk that came with the Gateway laptop I purchase three years ago. Is this possible? How do I get a disk? The laptop has a virus on it.

1. onojah dave

I ve problem booting my hp mini laptop. There is always this write up on my screen thus Bios application error!

2. Rahul150144

If you have a HP laptop you can access the recover partitions by pressing the f11 key on the computer start up.
    If you have a DELL laptop you can access the recover partitions by pressing the f12 key on the computer start up.
    If you have a Compaq laptop you can access the recover partitions by pressing the f11 key on the computer start up.

3. Joseph

Go to google and search "restore to factory settings" along with the brand and model. I believe you may be able to still do this with a 3 year old computer. Then once this is done make sure you create your "system restore discs"

Hello, what is the operating system?  Is there a recovery partition in your laptop's drive?  What brand and model of laptop do you have? 

If you do not have the disc, do you now anybody running same operating system that has a disc?  If you know somebody, try asking if you could use their installation disc.  For this to work, your license has to match the version of the operating system.  Also your license has be OEM.  Chances are, there is a recovery partition in your drive, unless it was deleted.  You could start your computer from recovery partition by using certain keys.  For gateway, you could try accessing recovery partition by pressing the ALT key and keep tapping the F10 key at startup.

Another possibility you might have is contacting manufacturer's and see if they can send you a disc.  Most times this is not provided for free. The link below is for the online form for ordering recovery media:

http://us-store.gateway.com/rcd/ 

The easiest thing to do in your case if above does not work is to clean the virus in your computer.  Do you need help with that?