Why doesn’t my SIM work after upgrading my Android version?

prasanth alapati May 17, 2013

I upgraded my Samsung GT S5360 Android version to Jelly Bean. After the installation the SIM is no longer working, even if it is inserted I do not get any signal. Will restoring the previous version of Android fix this? What might the problem be?

Please help, this is very urgent!

1. Kay Fritz

Do you have a Pre-Paid handy that was Net-Locked? So maybe no your SIM-card does not accept your mobile anymore? Maybe try contacting a local shop - rather speak to the dealer than call the hotline, because they would have strict rules.

2. DalSan M

Are you sure the SIM card is not working or its it just that you do not get data coverage from your carrier? Can you make any phone calls? If the SIM card isn't working, there would be a warning in the Notification area or somewhere that the SIM card is not installed. If it is just that the data is not working, then you may need to set the mobile network manually. Go to Settings, under Wireless and network select Mute settings..., then select Mobile networks, then select Access Point Names. If there aren't any listings for your carrier, then you need to Google the APN for your carrier and manually enter it in in the Access Point Names section.

• DalSan M

*Sorry, More settings..., not mute.

Mobile data not working after Jellybean update
    http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S3/Mobile-data-not-working-after-Jellybean-update/td-p/1319502
    perhaps factory reset can help, or the sim card reader is no longer working...

I have recently updated my Samsung Galaxy Chat GT-B5330 via the official update from Android ICS 4.0.4 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and it had absolutely no impact on the SIM and everything works fine. I assure you an Android update would have no impact on the SIM. Take it out, clean it with a cloth, also clean dust in the SIM bay, and re-insert it, if you get a signal, great, or otherwise you should go in for a SIM change from the Telecom service providers outlet. It doesn't take much time and is done within 5 minutes and should cost you around Rs. 25.

5. Tim Brookes

While I'm not an Android expert (I use an iPhone solely) I am not entirely sure that you need to restore back to the previous, earlier version of Android.

You might actually need a new SIM from your carrier, and I'd say that would be the first place to try. Contact your service provider and ask them why this might happen, and what they can offer you. If your phone told you to upgrade it, and you did so, then it should really work afterwards. You should not have to use old software when you can use more reliable and secure updated versions (with Android I feel this is especially pertinent).

So - contact your carrier, ask them what's going on and see what they can do. I'm not sure how likely it is (I'm not a phone expert or anything) but I suppose there is a possibility that the update is incompatible with your SIM version. You might need a SIM update which never arrived, or you might have had your SIM for years and it requires replacing. If you do need a new SIM your provider should be able to swap the number over for you right there and then, speaking from experience the whole operation takes 15 minutes maximum.

If they can't help you hopefully a more knowledgeable Android user will respond here with some means of helping you out :)

Good luck, let us know.