How can I re-install a missing or corrupt file to fix a boot issue in Windows?

Adrian January 7, 2012

I have a HP mini laptop that will no longer boot up. I still have HP QuickWeb working. Tried downloading off web, but won’t download anything. Then I don’t have disk that’s why I tried to boot off a SD card. Start still won’t work. Basically, I tried everything that I know of.

This problem that it says when trying to boot:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

That’s it. I need somebody’s help!

1. Danny Lopez

What O/S?   Usually just boot up with the Windows DVD or CD and do a repair.

1) boot on Ultimate boot cd
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    2) In the UBCD4Win interface, goto Start > Programs > Registry Tools > Registry Restore Wizard.3) The program will then ask you which Windows registry you want to repair. In most cases,it’ll be C:Windows. Choose the copy of Windows you want to repair and press Next.
    4)Choose “Fix the system registry to that of a previous state” and Press Next.
    5) You should now see a list registry restore points. Choose one with a date a few days before the issue first occured.

At best get the proper installation CD/DVD (same version) from a friend or relative and use it to repair your system:

1. Start your computer from the Windows CD/DVD2. follow the menu and select to start the Recovery Console
    3. select the proper Windows installation
    4. enter the administrator password

You should now be in the recovery console:

5. type "expand d:i386ntoskrnl.ex_ c:Windowssystem32"
    6. agree to override the existing file

If you are still having problems start into the recovery console again and type "bootcfg /rebuild" and follow the onscreen instructions (you will lose any dual-boot e.g. with Linux, HP QuickWeb should not be effected).

4. Jay.0

If nothing works, try restoring to a old restore point when the problem was not there, using system restore.

Hello, what operating system is the mini running?  Is there a recovery partition?  Did you make sure to change bootup order to HD after trying sd card?  If you try accessing the Advanced option by pressing F8 at startup, can you try running with last known configuration that worked?

If you had the installation disc, this would be easy.  It would be a matter of making a bootable usb flashdrive or getting an external cd/dvd drive.  Then you would start a system repair to fix boot and/or copy files.  To try an access recovery partition press the F11.  Once in recovery console, you could try the check disk command:

chkdsk /r

Do you know anybody that is running same operating system and has the disc?  You also have the option of contacting HP and see if they can provide you with recovery discs.