Should I let a registry cleaner complete fixes it suggests?

Bob Keller March 25, 2012

I have the Augoostic Speed SE and after scanning it shows registry fixes and others too. Should I let the program do it or should I go through it first? I’m a little leary about it.

And it shows that there are files that are no longer in use or not needed to.

Thank you.

1. Wicked_dude98

I use CCleaner, and whenever I clean up the registry or modify it, I always back it up, Although I have never had a problem, better safe than sorry

Hello, I would recommend for you not to use registry cleaners at all.  In my opinion they can cause more harm than good.

That all depends on what it wants to fix.  And you should always eyeball any changes it wants to make.  If a file referenced in the registry no longer exists on your drive(s), it is safe to remove those entries.  If there are remnants in the registry from software that has been uninstalled, it is safe to dump it.  Everything else falls into the category of "it depends".  Because of this, you MUST make a backup of the registry before allowing ANY changes.  And if you are unsure about any changes it wants to make, don't make the change.

For registry cleaners I would always look through the suggested changes and create and keep a backup of them!

Changes to the registry always have the possibility to:
    - break stuff that currently works
    - break stuff that you may not be using at this time
    - result in errors [that you may not encounter immediately]

At the end of the day you should always keep in mind that a registry cleaner is simply what it's name suggests: It cleans the registry by removing entries deemed unnecessary. 

A registry cleaner doesn't magically fix errors your computer is giving you.
    A registry cleaner doesn't magically speed up your computer.
    A registry cleaner doesn't magically free up drive space.

You can delete 1000 entries from the registry and won't get a single byte of space back. The space for the registry is pre-allocated in a way that it can always expand without delays duo to fragmentation or similar.

Also your computers performance won't increase anywhere noticeable by removing entries. The registry is read on demand and duo to it's addressing schematic there is no time lost in "searching and reading" it's content. 

The only exception to this would be if your registry has grown to an unreasonable size e.g. a 15MB user hive (ntuser.dat) at which point your computer has probably reached a state where you want to start over again. And even then it would primarily effect startup and logon time where the hive is being loaded - not the use of it afterwards.

Augoostic Speed SE? what is it any web page?

you can create windows restore point, and backup registry with Erunthttp://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Also normally registry cleaners do backups of laste state of registry before cleaning, so going back will be easier if something wrong happens.