How can I reduce the space consumed by HD movies on my hard drive?

Saurabh Kumar August 14, 2012

There are many movies which I like to watch and they are HD quality (and are mostly in .mkv format and others). I want to store them on my hard drive and they also take a lot of space. I want to know is there any way to store it without loosing the quality and also taking less space?

1. Amit Sinha

if you are not watching the videos regularly the compressed it and delete the original file, the compressed file would have less size than original.

Alternatively you can convert hd movies in standard format which occupies very less space on your hard disk and delete the hd movies to gain space. OR you can keep the backup on dvd or external portable drive.

2. Justin Fortin

You can compress them, but that will lower the quality

3. echantrea

Try using MiniCoder

For Matroska files, you can re-encode them and remove any subtitles, audio and video tracks that are not necessary for your viewing of the file. If you don't use the subtitles at all, you can remove them all from the container. The same goes for alternate language audio tracks and special features that you will not be viewing. You could also re-encode the file using a codec that has better lossless compression characteristics for the audio & video tracks. You could adjust the codec encoding parameters to allow lossy compression which most people will never notice as well as allowing for fewer I-frames (least compressable) or increasing the usage of P-frames (better compression) or B-frames (best compression).

5. Pk Apratwad

just delete it

6. ferdinan Sitohang

The only one that you can do is store it in an external HD, it is the most reliable.

7. GrrGrrr

burn those movies to a DVD, or put them on an external HDD.

8. Burhan Ahmed

Mkv movies are already very compressed. The only way to further reduce the size is by reducing resolution of the movie. E.g. Reducing 1080p movie to 720p will reduce the size by half approximately

9. Erlis Dhima

What I do myself:
    Buy a set of DVD and store my movies (HD or not), in them..
    Mostly of the HD movies I download, are between 2-4 Gb (if they are larger than 4.6, I don't believe a DVD could take it...)

What I want to do:
    Buy a External Hard Disk.. (A good one for me would be 2 or 3 Tb.)
    The problem with this, is the cost of it...
    I don't know the prices at your place, but here at me, you can find a 3 Tb external hard disk for about $220...

If you like more internal hard disks, then, you can do so too..

There is no other way, I think!